Question on taking up Marketing.

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Question on taking up Marketing.

by sachinzeus » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:12 am
Hi Amy,

I am very much interested in specializing in Marketing. However, I do not have much expertise or experience in the same.

You see, I'm into IT(software) and so hardly have a chance to portray my interest in Marketing. There have been some instances where I was able to show my Marketing side (in interaction with clients), but these have been few.

From what I learn, I need to prove to the admissions committee that I am suited for Marketing by showing some prior experience etc.

All I have is a tremendous interest and a few instances of my Marketing potential. Will this be good enough to convince them?

People tell me that I'd be better off opting for Finance or IT management as these are more in line with my work experience. However, I am very determined to pursue a career in Marketing(Marketing Research preferably).

Could you please advice?
Thanks,
Sachin

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:11 am
Hi Sachin,

You can absolutely express your interest in Marketing through your applications with no prior work experience. Many career switchers have a strong interest in their chosen career path without a lot of experience in it.

It will be useful to back up your choice by talking about client interactions and what about Marketing is attractive to you. You can always communicate your suitability for a career path by giving examples of times you have used translatable skills. For example, selling clients on an idea, assessing target markets, or other skills used in Marketing that you may have an aptitude for.

Also, market research is quite quantitative, so your IT background may be more translatable than you think.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sachinzeus » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:21 pm
Thanks for the advice Amy. I ll get working on it.