How to improve verbal???

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

How to improve verbal???

by vlazareva » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:17 pm
Hi!

I have already finished my Kaplan's classroom course and...

My verbal scores on all KaplanCATs were about 27-30. However, it was only 18 on the real thing...
I do not have real problems with math (it was 45 on real one).

How to improve verbal part? I have to work on each of three parts. Which of the study books would be helpful in my situation?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by mikeCoolBoy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:38 pm
Hi here's some advice about each of the sections.

RC
----------------------------------------

Read articles everyday from different magazines such as mckinseyquarterly or scientific american. Those articles normally come with some headlines that sum up the content. Try to read the article without reading those headlines, as you would read a GMAT passage, taking notes, scope of the passage, main idea, purpose and so on. Check your notes with the headlines.

You should be aware of the typical traps for each kind of question and categorize them when you find them.

CR
------------------------------------

I think the best book is Critical Reasoning bible. I find very useful modeling and taking notes on CR. Again be aware of the traps and patterns to solve each type of question.

SC
-------------------------------------

If you don't have it, get MGMAT SC. Practice as many problems as possible FROM OFFICIAL RESOURCES specially GMATPrep.

Look for explanations by experts such as Ron Purewal or Stuart and take notes from their comments on the questions.

Good luck
I'd like to become a GMAT Instructor in the future. Contact me for free lessons to help improve my teaching skills.

GMAT Prep SC questions https://gmatprepsc.blocked/ https://feeds.feedburner.com/Gmatprepsc

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vlazareva » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:18 am
Thank you so much mikeCoolBoy! I already have SC MGMAT and I will by Critical Reasoning Bible.