Inputs please

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Inputs please

by Harry1712 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:41 am
Hi,
I'm a student from India, currently in grad school in the US. I'm doing Masters here (with GRE - 1360 and TOEFL 107 on 120).
I have worked for 4 years with an automobile industry as Deputy Manager.
I took the GMAT recently and scored just 620. Pretty disappointed considering that I was hitting 680 to 720 during practice tests. Now, I need inputs on the following:
1. Should I retake the GMAT?
2. What are my chances (with current GMAT score) of getting admitted to following schools I have shortlisted?
- Krannert (Purdue)
- Paul Merage (UC Irvine)
- U. of Illinois Urbana Champaign
- Indiana University
3. What are the possibilities of being awarded GA/TA positions at these universities?

Your inputs would help me a great deal.

Regards,
Harry

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:640

by hk » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:53 pm
Well Harry just out of curiosity can I ask you why do you want to do an MBA? I mean, you are doing your Masters degree and haven't even completed it, so if you now want an MBA too why didn't you do an MBA in the first place? Also i hope you are aware that the schools are definitely going to ask you this.
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Harry1712 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:23 pm
Well,
My long term plans are to set up a Polymer Industry catering to Automobile sector. As a cog of the long term plans -
I wanted to gain exposure and learn the nuances of how automobile industry works. So, I worked there for four years.
Then, I wanted to do a Master's (with Independent Research) in Polymer Engineering. That is the reason for Master's now.
MBA is the next step that would help me in shaping my overall skills apart from the technical knowledge.

Harry

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:640

by hk » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:41 pm
Wow sounds like you were born with a game plan. Great to know about it, Harry. :)

Anyway to answer your question, although i'm not sure about the exactly GMAT intake scores of the schools you mentioned, i suggest you to check their average GMAT scores and their 80% intake GMAT range. This will give you an idea where you stand. If you are on the upper end then you are in a pretty good shape. If not your application needs to be strong enough to prompt them to want you.

Also note that, some schools allow you to arrange informational interviews and some allow you to send your resume and get feedback before you apply. some also allow you to contact them. Check out if this is a possibility. If so they are the best people to answer your question.

Now note that you are a unique applicant and GMAT is just one small part of the application. So if you can write some impressive essays and get some great recommendations then i dont think you would need to retake your gmat.

All the very best with you applications.
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish