Choosing a Masters of Accounting Program

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Choosing a Masters of Accounting Program

by BrentZ10 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:48 am
I was accepted into Notre Dame, Texas, and Michigan's Masters of Accounting Programs. I am having a hard time deciding on one and was hoping someone had previously been in my position and could offer some insight on what led them to make the decision they did.

I'm a senior finishing up my undergrad degree majoring in both Accounting and Finance in Michigan(Not U of M). I'd like to pursue the Big 4 from a tax perspective and I'm also hoping to go to law school in the future also. I believe that I would like to return to the Midwest to begin my working career, preferably in Chicago. I'm also somewhat interested in the banks that have historically recruited from Michigan and Texas' programs, however realize that's not necessarily a prime industry to be entering right now. Currently, I believe I have narrowed it down to choosing between Michigan and Texas. I'm drawn to Michigan's Midwestern location, as well as the flexibility the program offers in allowing you to really customize your classes and schedule. Texas is obviously one of the highest ranked programs year in and year out, Austin is a great city, and they offer great career services. I feel that Texas' national pull outweighs the location.

So, if anyone could help me out by offering some advice, I would really appreciate it.

Edit: Oh, and just wanted to add. First time posting, but I've been registered since March and this forum was really helpful this summer as I was preparing for the GMAT.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by Sophia007 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:07 pm
Hi There :)
Your lucky day - it is! First of all, I used to work for Big 4 (consulting) and I can connect you to the right person when the right time comes. Just keep my email handy, send me an email reminder when you're looking for the opportunity and we'll get you all set. ;)

Now, the school selection part. If you want to settle in Chicago - pick Michigan. It is closer to where you need to be and since I used to sit on the "hiring committee" for Consulting practice, I can assure you that Chicago team would generally recruit from Michigan school. Just double check, make sure that you go over "last 2-3 yrs- list of recruiter" on Michigan school website. The school career website should tell which employers have been actively recruiting in the market.

Here is the funny part! I LIVE in AUSTIN! :) Austin definitely has better options and AUSTIN is just FUN! In fact, Austin, Houston, Dallas and San Antonio were declared as the stable cities during the crazy recession times! Chicago did not make it to the list. Niether did Michigan!

"Which location to pick?" Well - what is your criteria? Emotions vs. Practical reasons. Write down the practical part of things and then the emotional part of things and make your decision. However, if you want big 4 and want to be hired for Chicago office - then Michigan is the place to be!
Sophia Pathak| Admissions Consultant |

If my post was helpful, let me know by pushing the thanks button.:) Please free to directly email me at [email protected]. ANY questions are welcome! check out what others have to say about their experience with me https://mymbamentor.com/?page_id=31