Please evaluate my profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please evaluate my profile

by aham » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:11 pm
Hello Stacy,

Could you please assess my chances of making it to the following schools?

Kellogg (a looong shot)
Duke (I think this is a long shot too)
Texas Austin
Kenan Flagler
ISB
Rice

My brief profile:
Indian Male 26, been living in the US for the last 5 years
Bachelors in Production Engg (from a well reputed institution in India - ranked among the top 10 colleges in Asia for this area of specialization)
Undergrad GPA: 8.47/10
Masters in Industrial Engineering, Texas A&M University
Masters GPA: 3.5/4.0
Work experience: Almost 3 yrs full time + 6 months internship
Previous job: 2.5 years in a manufacturing industry as an Industrial Engineer + internship
Current job: 4 months as a Supply Chain Consultant
Professional certification: American Production & Inventory Control Society's CPIM certification
GMAT - 650 (Q45,V34) - want to retake it in a couple of months
Extra curricular: Been an avid sportsperson all throughout my career until undergrad
Was an active tennis player. Competed fairly well in State level championships
Represented India in a Junior Asian Softball Championship
Captained the State softball team
Volunteered in Big Event, Habitat for Humanity (although not very actively)
Volunteering and Community Services could be weak links.

Reason for pursuing an MBA:
I want to leverage my career in the Supply Chain / Operations Management domain with a fair amount of exposure to Finance. I had great exposure to different departments in the manufacturing industry and this experience helped me in understanding the complexities of running a business. The same experience had also kindered my interest in problem solving at the functional level (the big picture) prompting me to move over to the Supply Chain Mgmt consulting job. I want to leverage this experience and want to take it a step further through an MBA education.

I am trying to improve on my weak areas (extra curricular, community services, volunteering) in the next 3 months. I understand that 3 months is not sufficient enough time to make a substantial impact. I have erred and am just trying to make up as much as I can in the coming months.

The only strong point I see in my profile is the Non-IT background. I would very much appreciate if you can post your candid views on my chances and what I need to do to improve my portfolio.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:28 pm
Hi aham,

Your academic performance is good, but you may want to retake the GMAT to try to get it up a bit higher and really strengthen your academic profile.

For work experience, concentrate on areas that you have shown management and leadership potential. Otherwise, you do have a weakness in extracurriculars, and it's great to work on it in the next three months, although it may be quite clear that you are getting involved for application reasons.

I think you're right that Kellogg and Duke may be long shots, but the other schools on your list could work if you do a good job in your self presentation.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by aham » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:28 pm
Thanks Stacy for your inputs. Will follow your advice...

rgds,
aham