This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Canadian applying to Ivey

by tonyrobbins » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:06 am
Amy, Stacy,

GPA, major, school
School: University of Toronto
Major: Engineering Science
GPA: B+ average (I think that's like a 3.2 or so?)

GMAT with breakdown
650 (Q46/V34)

resume highlights, including company name, job titles and promotions

1. Small telecom start-up (4 years)
Worked 2 years as a Network Engineer
Worked another 2 years after promotion to Team Leader of Network Engineering group

2. National carrier (1 year)
Worked 1 year as a Network Designer to build a network from scratch

3. Another National Wireless Carrier (~ 6 months now)
Currently working as a product manager in a substantial new and growing porfolio

After working in a field like engineering which is very structured, I started to realize that it wasn't as challenging or demanding. I tried the Network Designer route where I tried out the best Engineering had to offer, and it still wasn't interesting enough for me. I left engineering to pursue a role as a product manager to be the CEO of a product basically, and understand more of what drives the technology decisions I made in my earlier career.

My plan is to attend a Canadian university in September-- my preference is Ivey. My post-graduation plans are to work in the consulting industry.

Any feedback you can provide would be useful?

BTW, I'm interested in hiring your services. Do you take on Canadian applicants?

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:27 pm
You sound like a solid candidate, in terms of numbers and resume. Engineering roles can be problematic for the purpose of an MBA application because they do not showcase a lot of business school desirables such as leadership, teamwork, etc... However, you have had nice career progression and your transition to product manager should be helpful. Do you have any significant extracurriculars? This would round out your profile. Finally, the story of the engineer who goes to business school to transition into consulting is very common. You will need to think about why this story is personally important to you - bringing in your personal touch will make it unique and more convincing. Good luck!

And yes - we work with applicants all over the world.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me