how long does it take to fill out one application?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi everyone,

First off, props to this website for being an amazing source for GMAT information and the MBA in general. Really, it's a godsend.

I'm just about to start studying for my GMATs and applying for the GMAT exam in both November and December (in case I do really badly in November). Considering that I still have applications to fill out after I give my GMATs and the deadlines I'm trying to meet are typically early January, I'm wondering how long each application takes to fill out, on average. I'm applying to about 5 schools.

My focus obviously is on studying for the GMATs but I don't want to neglect my applications by placing the exam dates for late November and Decemeber.

Any advice on this? Thanks a million in advance.

MBA Admissions Consultant

by erins » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:48 pm
Hi -

The length of time it takes for a candidate to complete an application varies tremendously based on work, community and personal commitments, i.e. an individual who is able to work on essays/application information during the week and evenings is in a different situation than someone who is limited to weekends. Further, your first application will likely take the longest and it is not unreasonable to plan on ~4 weeks to complete a solid application package for that school. We think it's ideal to be able to work on it over time to provide a chance for a fresh look before you submit. Of course, not everyone has that leisure and we understand that as well.

As you become more comfortable with the process, you may find that you can complete applications more quickly; however, I still think that turning around 5 very strong applications in December for early January deadlines will be quite a challenge.

If you are looking for things to move your application forward while you are studying for the GMAT, perhaps updating your resume, brainstorming about your essays and starting to input information in the actual online app make sense. With that said, scoring as well as you can on the GMAT should be your first priority! if you take it in early November and don't need to retake then your plan seems more reasonable, although still quite ambitious!

I hope this helps.
Best,
Erin
Erin Schuhmacher, MBA
Senior Consultant

Our Mission is Your Mission

mbaMission

www.mbamission.com
646-485-8844

Read the mbaMission Guides (12 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Visit the mbaMission Twitter

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:1 members

by Brett N » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:31 am
The application takes as long as you have :) It's a great philosophy from "Four Hour Work Week" that things get done when they're due.

To get my application on time, I built an application work plan then broke my tasks and requirements by week and then individual task. This allowed me to know exactly what was due each week until the deadline. I now build these action plans for others if you're interested contact me directly and I'll tell you more about it. They make it easier and less stressful to get the application done on time. Either way, if you want to get it done you can get it done.
Please free to contact me at [email protected] or through our
profile evaluation form.

Ivy App Success