Construction Management Background -

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Construction Management Background -

by shiv_772002 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:27 pm
Profile Evaluation
Last edited by shiv_772002 on Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:24 pm
Hi shiv_772002,

It sounds like you have an interesting background and clear goals. I would focus on doing well on the GMAT and that may give you some guidance about the schools you should aim for.

You should stand out a bit from your demographic, which is helpful. Your age is something that is not necessarily a problem if you have clear reasons for going and realistic ideas about recruiting. Writing great essays is going to help.

Are you interested in US schools or international? It really depends on where you want to work after school, but international may be a nice option since the time commitment for INSEAD, for instance, is less.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Amy - Few questions to your reply

by shiv_772002 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:01 am
Amy,
Thanks for your evaluating my profile. I am looking at both International and US schools. However I am leaning more towards International Schools at this point because I have lived, studied and worked in the US and I am looking for some international exposure. US schools are a backup.

Which other international schools do you recommend other than INSEAD, IMB and LBS? Again any particular strategy for these schools? I realize that INSEAD & IMD have a short course duration which is beneficial in a lot of ways.

Do US companies value international MBA's?

I am trying to understand your reply to my question about standing out in the crowd - " You should stand out a bit from your demographic, which is helpful". I take it that you mean my profile stands out in terms my work background even though my nationality is Indian.

Again thank you very much for your advice.
Shiv

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:22 am
Hi shiv_772002,

I think US companies are more familiar with the top US MBA programs. Perhaps with the exception of LBS and INSEAD.

There is Oxford and Cambridge as well as ISB, but I would stick with LBS or INSEAD if you are looking for work in the US.

The process is definitely holistic and there isn't priority given to one demographic over another (otherwise I would think the programs would be more diverse than they are) so if you are qualified and a good fit you have a chance regardless of circumstances beyond your control.

That being said, Indian applicants are considered overrepresented in the applicant pool. You won't be discriminated against per se, it's just harder to stand out on paper. Given the rate of admissions hovering between 10-20% it's useful to stand out (while simultaneously fitting in.)

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting