The best books on quant section for getting 50/51q

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Hi everyone.
I'd like to get a top score in math section. I am an applied math major, hence all I need is practice, practice, and again practice. Questions from OG don't cut it anymore, they are not top quant questions. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gmat_2010 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:32 am
Can anyone suggest please? Thanks a lot!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by elaine1920 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:15 pm
Personally, I used Kaplan and Princeton review before, those are all pretty easy. I like Math from Mahattan GMAT, their math part in the practise test are really hard. They have free test online, so I recommend you to take one test and see if you like their math, then decide if you want to use their online question banks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by prindaroy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:54 am
I'm a math major too. The best questions I've come across so far are from the MGMAT question banks and tests. You could also attempt the CAT exam math questions (the ones they use for Indian Institute of Management), as they are usually harder than the GMAT questions.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by reachsb » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:19 pm
prindaroy wrote:I'm a math major too. The best questions I've come across so far are from the MGMAT question banks and tests. You could also attempt the CAT exam math questions (the ones they use for Indian Institute of Management), as they are usually harder than the GMAT questions.
I agree. It doesn't get any worse/harder than that. Please read my previous response to another poster with the same dilemma:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/need-to-impr ... t1946.html

I was in Barnes and Nobles the other day and was surprised to see Kaplan's new GMAT Math Foundation workbooks.

https://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-GMAT-Math- ... d_sim_b_49

At last these folks are looking in the right direction. I'm sick and tired of all the GMAT prep books that dedicate only half a page per topic on math. Alas, the quality of the Kaplan workbook indicated that it was designed for the '600's audience. Didn't find any hard problems and the theory too could have been elaborated further.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Kaplan Foundations

by zainabubu » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:35 pm
Do not be fooled by that book (Kaplan Foundations), it is utterly useless! I purchased one thinking that once I understood the concepts of the subjects covered in the GMAT exam, everything else would be a breeze. Well, that was a waste of time.
I decided to take a practice test to see if I understood the concepts better...I can't even type the score I got out of embarrassment. Which was what led me to this website; I decided to find out what books other people were studying, most mention MGMAT. So I changed my GMAT date and I purchased the 5 Quant books MGMAT had to offer. Since I work 9-5/6 every weekday, I dedicated 7-10.30 pm on weekdays at the local Barnes and Noble store and spent 3pm-10.30pm on weekends going through each topic covered. At the end of book 3, I decided to measure how better improved I was, and I pretty much doubled my score to 630 after 1 month of rigorous studying.
I have my GMAT in a week, and I still need to completely cover Geometry and Word Translations (both my greatest weaknesses), and I must say that even with been clueless when it comes to many word problems and geometrical questions, scoring 630 was great for me (and I believed I may have danced around the store when my score was revealed) :)
I plan to take another test tomorrow morning, hopefully, my score would have increase dramatically again.

Anyway, if you have problems with Quant, buy the Manhattan GMAT books, and you'll see an improvement, if you put the hard work into it.