short and long term goals

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

short and long term goals

by vpg0405 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:04 pm
I have begun the application process to some of my schools and I have come across a few questions for fall 2010.

Is it negative to state a goal to want to work in a position in an industry that might effectivly be closed? I have a short term goal to work in Real Estate IB with the intention to work a PE Opportunity fund down the road. A long term goal would be to start my own fund at some point.
Another goal is to work with a property developer. I believe a general management degree with an elective concentration in RE will help me solidify my skills and develop new ones in order to achieve this.

I have contacted some current MBAs at UVA that are in the Real Estate club. Many have mentioned that finding a job in the Real Estate industry is tough right now, some are even doing things completely outside of what they wanted (one was working in Energy). UVA, along with the rest of the world obviously knows that this finding a job in Real Estate will be difficult.

My question is, should I state another reason to get an MBA based on my finding and the current environment. It is obvious that a school wants to know that you can get hired after your 2 year degree. If I pick a defunct short and long term goal, will this hurt my chances? The same question can be asked of a broader group to perspective students wanting to work in different IB groups.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:56 am
Hi - you raise a really good question that especially in these economic times is on a lot of people's minds. At mbaMission we asked some admissions directors about this situation. They all acknowledge that the employment situation is hard right now, particularly for career changers. (Of course, we don't know what it will look like in 2 years). Specifically (from my last link below):
Now, no less than six top admissions officers, whom MBA Mission has spoken with, have shown an openness to candidates discussing primary and secondary short term goals, especially if the candidate is proposing to enter into a field that is not hiring during the recession or if the candidate is a career changer who may have trouble making the switch.
My recommendation is to be up front in your essay that this is your dream goal, but that given the realities of the situation you have alternative ideas as well. Make a compelling case for why the goal is achievable and logical for you, but still show that you understand that these days, going down that path is a long shot.

Here are some blog posts that may help:
https://www.mbamission.com/blog/2009/07/ ... oyability/
https://www.mbamission.com/blog/2009/06/ ... ls-really/
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php