Rate my AI

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Rate my AI

by virgo80 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:12 pm
Kindly give suggestions and comments to improve.

Thanks

ESSAY QUESTION:
“Since no business can be all things at once, companies that specialize in one product or service are more efficient than those that offer a diverse product mix.”

From your perspective, how accurate is the above statement? Support your position with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

YOUR RESPONSE:
I agree with the statement that companies that specialize in one product or service are more efficient than those that offer a diverse product mix. I will present my explanation below.

Firstly, if the company specializes in a product then it will have a very focused research and development group and will try to incorporate the latest and best features in its products. This will help it to capture a big market share and perform well compared to a company with diverse product mix. Its generally seen in the industry that companies that focus on single product are more popular and have higher profits compared to others. Take the example of Coco-Cola, Google and Oracle. All of the these companies focus one core business product or service.

Secondly, the companies with diverse product mixes have markets all spread out and various management methods suited for each of the different services or products. This leads to redundancy and high cost and causes inefficiencies. On the other hand, a company specializing in one product or service will have the best methodologies for manufacturing, distributing, marketing and managing its product since these services have been bench marked.

Thirdly, if the company has a diverse product mix, some of the products might be mismanaged due to lack of focus and might cost the company dearly. This is seen very often in the financial industry. Moreover, since the company has to focus on so many products, a new company might take over the other companies' market share. On the other hand, a company with a single product or service is so focused on its product and market that it is very difficult for new entrants to take its share.

In conclusion, I agree that companies with single products and services are more efficient compared with those with diverse product mix.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Nice essay

by himanshu4iim » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:08 am
You have written a well thought essay. Congratulations on that.
I have one observation which may be helpful to you.

Your conclusion does not summarise what points you refered to in the supporting details section. The conclusion and introduction look the same.
You could have written that "Incorporating best practices and better R & D is possible only when a company focusses on a single product rather than a wide product mix."
That is why on content part I will give you 5.

Overall I give you 5.5