Another GMAT aspirant with beginner's questions

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700
Hi,
I have been preparing for the GMAT for some time now. I gave my GMAT in April 2009 and did not do well. Scored a 610. Never before the actual GMAT and never after that have I scored so low in a test. I had no way of knowing how bad I will do since I was consistently scoring high on my practice tests. Range being 650 to 760. I took Kaplan and GMAT Prep tests.
So I decided to take the test again. I have taken a date in August 2009 this time. I have been doing one test every week now and have been able to pin point my weak areas.

Math- Probability,permutations and combinations , Number properties and Sets.
I have been consistently scoring 47 on my Math and would like to take it beyond 49.

Verbal- RC(Purpose type questions). I have been scoring 34-37 on my verbal and would like to take it beyond 37.

I would really appreciate if some one can point me to good theory resources on the above topics.

Resources I have so far-
OG 10th,11th and 12th edition. I have finished 11th and 12th.
GMAT verbal workbooks

Manhattan- All 3 verbal books and access to their online tests.
Kaplan 800
Beatthegmat

I do seem to make similar mistakes every time and I would really like to avoid that. Once I read the answer to questions most of them seem so obvious that I curse myself for not thinking that way.
Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
-Rajan