100%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please rate my first essay

by crackit77 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:12 am
Hi,

This is my first essay, kindly rate it and let me know the errors I commited and ways to improve. Thanks a lot.

"Corporations and other businesses should try to eliminate the many ranks and salary grades that classify employees according to their experience and expertise.A 'flat' organizational structure is more likely to encourage collegiality and cooperation among employees"

Discuss the extent to which you agree/disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons and/or examples from your own experience,observations or reading.

In my view ranking and corresponding salary grades are import means of cultivating healthy competition among employees. This helps them increase thier expertise levels required to take greater responsibilities benefiting both the organization and the employee.

In the current company where I work, we have a transparent and encouraging ranking system.At the beginning of a quarter, the manager selects Key Performace Areas(KPA) on which he wants his team memeberms to build expertiese on and communicates it to each employee in a one on one meeting. This gives the employee an overview of the career path the company is projecting for him. During the quarter, the employees performance is monitored by the manager. At the end of the quarter, the employee has to submit his rankings on each of the KPAs. Then a one on one meeting is scheduled with the manager, the manager gives feedback on the performance of the employee and areas where he can improve. This meeting is a good platform where the employee can discuss any issues and concerns with his manager. The salary grading which is based on his performance in the KPAs is communicated to the employee.

The above process provides employees with equal oppurtunities and each employee is judged by his performance in relation to the opporunities he is provided. Preset goals ,Good communicaiton channel and transparency form the key for a good ranking process.
Such a process assures the employee that his carees path is well planned, issues and concerns will be addressed and his salary grade will be a reflection of his performance.

Where as a flat process might help to subdue employee conflicts, but does't encourage employees to imporve thier way of work and increase thier expertise. This drags down the pace with which an organization can grow. Hard working employees who want to improve thier expertise and climb up the ladder, will find that their hardwork is not recognized.This could demoralise them and make them look for organiztions where thier hardwork is better rewareded. Thus the organization will loose hardworking experts pulling the organization backwards.

Hence every organization should follow a ranking process. Bottom line "Hardwork demands a reward".