beatrix potter

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

beatrix potter

by phelps » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:58 pm
162. Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.
(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

Original Answer A

by phelps » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:58 pm
sorry OA is C

by hetavdave » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:06 pm
Expets please help.
I went for A. what's wrong with A?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by rookiez » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:30 am
in A, them doesnot confim to singular book.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by vinayakdl » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:09 am
IMO Answer: C

"carefully coordinated with narrative" is describing illustrations and is not a necessary part for the sentence.

A lacks a flow. also them seems to refer to "in her book illustrations"

Vinayak

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:710

Re: beatrix potter

by rahulg83 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:01 am
phelps wrote:162. Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.
(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

Original Answer A

In C, remove the non-essential part which...narratives, and the sentence clearly makes sense
In A, them can't refer to book (singular), i was tempted to go for it, thinking them could refer observation and love for natural world. :shock: ABSURD

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:09 pm
vinayakdl wrote:IMO Answer: C

"carefully coordinated with narrative" is describing illustrations and is not a necessary part for the sentence.

A lacks a flow. also them seems to refer to "in her book illustrations"

Vinayak
Hi Vinayak,

them IMO should refer to illustrations only....can you please tell to what else it should logically refer ?

Also can you please tell in a bit more detail...how A is lacking flow....

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:10 pm
rahulg83 wrote:
phelps wrote:162. Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

Original Answer A

In C, remove the non-essential part which...narratives, and the sentence clearly makes sense
In A, them can't refer to book (singular), i was tempted to go for it, thinking them could refer observation and love for natural world. :shock: ABSURD
Hi Rahul,

Can you please explain in a bit more detail on what basis you kicked out A....IMO in A "them" is correctely refering to illustrations...

please tell if I am misinterpreting you...

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:710

by rahulg83 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:58 pm
goelmohit2002 wrote:
rahulg83 wrote:

Original Answer A

Hi Rahul,

Can you please explain in a bit more detail on what basis you kicked out A....IMO in A "them" is correctely refering to illustrations...

please tell if I am misinterpreting you...
You can say that, but so can i that them incorrectly refers to Book (agreement error). One can certainly take a different path here by arguing that there was a book named "illustrations" written be the author making "them" wrong here. Atleast i thought the same, so it is better off to get away with the pronoun...