But not for

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:750

But not for

by sulabh » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:22 am
Medicare, the United States government’s health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of
home health care, but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
A. but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
B. but not of other nonhospital services, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.
C. but not of other nonhospital services, for which beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs.
D. which is unlike other nonhospital services in that 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
E. which is unlike other nonhospital services that make beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.

OA is C
But i ve 2 problem with it.One, if we use 'but' is there a need of a comma here.Same goes with the second comma becuae the sentence uses 'for which' so does it modify 'other nonhospital services'???
In my opinion E is the right answer which says that 'home health care' is unlike other nonhospital services that make beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.
COMMENTS !!!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by netigen » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:39 am
Which in this case modifies the closest noun in the previous clause. As you pointed out this noun will be 'other nonhospital services'.

C is the best choice.

by sulabh » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:57 am
Point taken but isn't the placement of the comma wierd if 'for' is used?
Moreover whats wrong with E(written above why I think E is right)

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by netigen » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:48 am
E says ---- other nonhospital services make beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.

Do you think a service can make you pay for itself.

by gmatinjuly » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:00 pm
E is wrong as it compares health care with a hospital service...

So to understand home health care covers are hospital services which is unlike <some> where you need to pay for non hospital services..

so u cant compare a heath care that provide services to services...

by sulabh » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:13 am
Thanks netigen.Point taken !

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by redsome » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:58 am
E incorrectly suggests that there are nonhospital services that do not require the beneficiaries to pay 20 percent of the costs. The relative clause led by “that” restricts “nonhospital services”. What the author want to convey is that the beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs for all nonhospital services. Therefore, this choice distorts the author’s intention and should never be selected.

GMAT Score:620

by bmlaud » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:50 am
I go with C too.

As for the use of comma with but-- the rule says Words or phrases joined by coordinating conjunctions(and, but, or, so, for) are not separated by comma. However, main clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction are separated by a comma.

Here the conjunction 'but' is joining two main clauses;The conjunction 'for' joins only main clauses, I think 'for which' is doing the same job here.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: But not for

by apple100 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:06 pm
sulabh wrote:Medicare, the United States government’s health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of
home health care, but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
A. but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
B. but not of other nonhospital services, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.
C. but not of other nonhospital services, for which beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs.
D. which is unlike other nonhospital services in that 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
E. which is unlike other nonhospital services that make beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.

What is wrong with B?
OA is C
But i ve 2 problem with it.One, if we use 'but' is there a need of a comma here.Same goes with the second comma becuae the sentence uses 'for which' so does it modify 'other nonhospital services'???
In my opinion E is the right answer which says that 'home health care' is unlike other nonhospital services that make beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.
COMMENTS !!!!