Which geometric figures are most common on the gmat

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760
Besides the obvious (triangles, rectangles, squares, parallelograms)?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by mike22629 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:29 am
WITHOUT A DOUBT

If you wanted to focus on the geometric figures most commonly tested on the GMAT, focus on circles and triangles.

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:40 am
mike22629 wrote:WITHOUT A DOUBT

If you wanted to focus on the geometric figures most commonly tested on the GMAT, focus on circles and triangles.
Thanks, I have been focusing on circles and triangles but then I read a question in one of the forums here where you had to determine the area of a hexagram, so I was just wondering if there were other figures that I was just forgetting to study.

Also, good luck with your application to Fuqua. I went to Duke for undergrad, you should enjoy the two years there.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by mike22629 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:46 am
In my opinion, this site is a GREAT way to practice for the GMAT, but beware. People tend to post many questions that are MUCH more difficult than the actual GMAT. I also remember facing a particularly difficult hexagon question on a MGMAT practice test, but these questions were way more difficult than anything I saw on the GMAT.

Now, I have only taken the GMAT once so I'm not saying that I know the entire database of questions, but I would say it is very unlikely that you will get any such question. Obviously understand the basic dimensions of most shapes, but do not kill yourself trying to understand every little detail. The GMAT, the math section in particular, is more a test of the ability to detect trick questions and to work under strict time conditions rather than understanding difficult math.

Just my opinion.

By the way, thanks for your encouragement with Duke, I would love to go there, especially since it is relatively close to Hilton Head Island (where I grew up).

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:11 am
mike22629 wrote:In my opinion, this site is a GREAT way to practice for the GMAT, but beware. People tend to post many questions that are MUCH more difficult than the actual GMAT. I also remember facing a particularly difficult hexagon question on a MGMAT practice test, but these questions were way more difficult than anything I saw on the GMAT.

Now, I have only taken the GMAT once so I'm not saying that I know the entire database of questions, but I would say it is very unlikely that you will get any such question. Obviously understand the basic dimensions of most shapes, but do not kill yourself trying to understand every little detail. The GMAT, the math section in particular, is more a test of the ability to detect trick questions and to work under strict time conditions rather than understanding difficult math.

Just my opinion.

By the way, thanks for your encouragement with Duke, I would love to go there, especially since it is relatively close to Hilton Head Island (where I grew up).
thanks I will definitely just play the numbers and focus my time on what is going to most likely be tested.