caribou

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

caribou

by svishal1123 » Sat May 09, 2009 5:05 pm
I came across this question in 1000SC.

A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into northern Minnesota would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than one wolf for every 39 square miles.

(A) would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than

(B) would fail provided the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more than

(C) should fail if the timber wolf density in that region was greater than

(D) will fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is greater than

(E) will fail if the timber wolf density in that region were more numerous than

OA D

I had 2 doubts:

1. "More than" should be used when comparing countable nouns. Density is countable, then why "More Than". I had read somewhere, that to compare 2 nouns which are expressed using numbers, greater than is used. Applying the same rule, are the below sentences correct?
--Japanese Cars have greater mileage than American Cars.
--I have greater money than my brother.
--Germany's GDP is greater than what it was 2 years ago.
--Germany's GDP increase is greater than world GDP increase.

Second is obviously wrong. I am not sure about the fourth. I cannot differentiate.

2. Second doubt - why "WILL". "WOULD" can be used to express a unreal situation that might arise in the future.

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Sat May 09, 2009 6:18 pm
Its a real or future conditional so use will (for a defnite situation).

If (condition), (implied or explicittly stated then) result

if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is greater than one wolf for every 39 square miles then reintroduction of the caribou into northern Minnesota will fail

Use would for unreal conditional situtations i.e. where the time to meet a certain condition has passed or the conditions were not met therefore the results did not or cannot happen

Also density is not countable even though it can be measured. We cant say 1 density,2 density like we cant say 1 money, 2 money

I think I have read in one of the answer explanations in OG that "would" is a future tense verb of something that happenned in the past and "will" is the future tense verb for something thats going to happen in the future. I may not be stating this as is so let me try to find the question if possible.

Regards,
CR

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by svishal1123 » Sat May 09, 2009 10:03 pm
Thanks Cramya.
I understand your explanation for will/would.

Regarding more/greater than, as per your explanation, density and money should be treated equally. As per this logic, "I have greater money than my brother" would stand correct. Without applying any rules, we know that it is wrong.
I have no clue where my is understanding wrong !!

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Sat May 09, 2009 10:09 pm
Regarding more/greater than, as per your explanation, density and money should be treated equally. As per this logic, "I have greater money than my brother" would stand correct. Without applying any rules, we know that it is wrong.
I have no clue where my is understanding wrong !!
I think u may have be confusing "many"->used for only countable qts with "more". Correct me if its not so.

Both of these are correct IMO:
More women(countable)
More pollution(non countable)

Once we use the will/would rule we would be down to D and E.

Again we can use "numerous" with countable qts but here "density" is not countable so we use "greater than"