for the building OF??

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:740

for the building OF??

by 2010gmat » Sun May 03, 2009 10:15 pm
In three centuries--from 1050 to 1350--several million tons of stone were quarried in France for the building of eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some tens of thousands of parish churches.
(A) for the building of eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(B) in order that they might build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(C) so as they might build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(D) so that there could be built eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and
(E) such that they could build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and

OA is A

Isn't it unidiomatic to say ..for the building of??

i think its better to say stones were quarried for building eighty cathedrals bla bla...

Why D is wrong?? only because it is wordy or some other reason ??

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Sun May 03, 2009 10:21 pm
Somone correct me if I am mistaken.

With D there (France) -> we dont know that all of the buildings were to be built in France since the original sentence does not give us a clue.
All we know is millions of tons were quarried(could have been used in France or could have been exported to a different country etc...).

Also "so that there could be built eighty cathedrals" is wordy and awkward.

Regards,
CR

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by mike22629 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:21 am
I believe that B,C, and E are wrong because "they" is ambiguous. We do not know who built the buildings. Is this correct?