Odd Essay.... Please Interpret this Argument.....

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
My comments are at the bottom.

The following appeared as part of an article in the business section of a local newspaper.

“Motorcycle X has been manufactured in United States for over 70 years. Although one foreign company has copied the motorcycle and is selling it for less, the company has failed to attract motorcycle x customers-some say because its product lacks the exceptionally loud noise made by motorcycle X. But there must be some other explanation. After all, foreign cars tend to be quieter than similar American made cars, but they sell at least as well. Also, television advertisements for motorcycle X highlight its durability and sleek lines, not its noisiness, and the ads typically have voice overs or rock music rather than engine roar on the sound track.

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument.

Now, you are supposed to argue against what's posted. So am I to assume that I should argue that the lack of sales for the foreign motorcycle should be strictly attributed to the lack of noise from motorcycle? The author suggests that other reasons may be to blame for the lack of sales. Thats actually the stance that I was going to take, but obviously you cant agree with the argument. Or can you? Or am I interpreting the assignment incorrectly? Remember, this isn't an "issue" topic, so I can't simply pick a side. I must show why the argument is weak or lacking in some way.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by 4seasoncentre » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:50 am
You can absolutely agree with an argument.