Is expertise in additional language helpful?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
If I take additional courses in Basic French/Spanish/German, etc. will it make my Essays better? My chances higher?

I have heard that INSEAD especially encourages expertise in some other language.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Paxton Helms - Kaplan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:25 pm
Hello! Having language skills is definitely advantageous but I'm not sure that basic knowledge (which is what it sounds like you would be achieving) would be terribly helpful.

If you are applying to INSEAD, I would focus on getting in and then taking courses in the language that you intend to make your official INSEAD second language.

The marginal impact of additional training in, say, statistics, calculus, macro or micro econ, and accounting will all have significantly more impact than basic language skills. But, once you're in to INSEAD, then having a running start on a second language will certainly be very helpful to you.

Please understand: I'm not saying that language classes are bad. What I am saying is that most folks will probably get more mileage (and have a greater impact on their chances of admissions) with other classwork.

Does this answer your question?

Paxton
Keep me in the loop about your thinking and let me know if you have any more questions.

Paxton

Paxton Helms is an MBA admissions consultant for Kaplan Admissions Consulting. He earned his MBA from UCLA and specializes in helping clients that are applying to top twenty and "reach" programs. He can be reached directly at [email protected].

To begin working with Paxton immediately, follow this link and request him specifically: https://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/Admissions- ... lting.html

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gmat_2010 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:01 pm
Thank you so much for your response!