Josephine baker's home in Paris.

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

Josephine baker's home in Paris.

by goelmohit2002 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:53 am
Hi All,

Can somebody please help me understand in the below question why [spoiler]"D"[/spoiler] is better then [spoiler]"C"[/spoiler] ? OA is [spoiler]"D".[/spoiler].

I kicked out A and B based on parallelism....i.e. parallel to "she remained". Please tell is there any problem in that reasoning.

To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate , and she remained in France during the Second World Was as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance.
(A) To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate
(B) For Josephine Baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Paris was her home
(C) Josephine Baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable
(D) Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Barker made Paris her home
(E) Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker

Thanks
Mohit
Last edited by goelmohit2002 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:760

by rs2010 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:21 pm
IMO D

In D Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate is defining Josephine Baker while in 'C' long before to be an expatriate is not correctly placed.

IMO D looks more concise and as we all know GMAT prefers Brevity.

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:29 pm
hemantsood wrote:IMO D
In 'C' long before to be an expatriate is not correctly placed.
Can you please elaborate a bit on this....i.e. what placement issue is there ?

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:31 pm
Hello Mohit
Can you please underline the part of the sentence to be corrected so as to give you a proper explanation.

As far as C is concerned:
C) Josephine Baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable

See the Bold Part

This sentence completely changes the meaning of the given sentence.
Nothing is been said about when she becomes an expatriate so this sentence is out.

for D, I have to see the Underline part

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by greatsaint » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:11 pm
"E" IMO

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:22 pm
gmat740 wrote:Hello Mohit
Can you please underline the part of the sentence to be corrected so as to give you a proper explanation.
Sorry I forgot to underline the same....i have made the necessary changes in the original post.

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:36 pm
Ok,

as I said in my last post

C) Josephine Baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable

Look at the bold part it says, Baker made Paris her home before to be an expatriate, means she later became expatriate

Now look at the original sentence:

To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate:

This sentence does not say that she became an expatriate later.

We must keep the meaning of the original sentence intact.

Hope now it's clear.

Karan

Re: Josephine baker's home in Paris.

by ken3233 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:59 pm
goelmohit2002 wrote:Hi All,

Can somebody please help me understand in the below question why [spoiler]"D"[/spoiler] is better then [spoiler]"C"[/spoiler] ? OA is [spoiler]"D".[/spoiler].

I kicked out A and B based on parallelism....i.e. parallel to "she remained". Please tell is there any problem in that reasoning.

To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate , and she remained in France during the Second World Was as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance.
(A) To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate
(B) For Josephine Baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Paris was her home
(C) Josephine Baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable
(D) Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Barker made Paris her home
(E) Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker

Thanks
Mohit
"C" uses "to be" incorrectly; it is wordy. "C" might qualify as an acceptable answer if it were rewritten as follows:

Josephine Baker made Paris her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, ...

Followed by:24 members
GMAT Score:750

by TedCornell » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:55 pm
"before" qualifies "it was fashionable" rather than "to be" (ask yourself before what?) so "before" should be positioned next to "it was fashionable".

Either "She made Paris her home before it was fashionable to be..."
Or "Before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, she made Paris..."

(I study from OG, MGMAT SC, and GMATFix Verbal Flashcards)

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:28 pm
Thanks. Is it ok to kick A and B based on parallelism....i.e. parallel to "she remained"

or there is some better reasoning to kick them out ?

Followed by:24 members
GMAT Score:750

by TedCornell » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:44 pm
You're welcome.
Parallelism is the reason to kick out A and B. You're correct