pls grade my argument essay!

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

pls grade my argument essay!

by themaharaja1 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:31 am
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do, and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
To what extent do you agree or disagree with the opinion expressed above?
Explain your point of view by giving reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

Working in team and managing entire team are very difficult tasks. Above statement is making a suggestion regarding how one can get things done and achieve required results while working in team. The author is saying that one should just tell people what they need to go. The author also adds that people will achieve great results with their ingenuity. I don't agree with the author completely. I think that the above strategy cannot be applied in all cases.

First of all, application of strategy will depend upon various factors such as type of people working, difficulty of task and other resources available to achieve results. If people working are not intelligent and pro-active or if task is very difficult or if resources required to achieve results are very scare then I don't think above strategy can be applied. In such cases lot of guidance and help is required. Without continuous guidance and support, people will feel very frustrating. At the end team might not be able to finish the task and achieve required results.

To support my views I would like to provide example of "Indian Independence Movement". During this movement great Indian leaders such Gandhi, Nehru, Patel all declared that India needs freedom and Indians need to fight for it. But these leaders didn't stop at that point only. They showed various ways such as no-support movement, hunger strike and resigning from government jobs to fight against the government. Continues guidance was required as task was difficult. I would also like to provide another example of fortune 500 company, Intel's, employee management policy, IMBO's (Intel's Management by Objective). This policy has been derived by Intel's initial leaders such as Andy Grove and Moore. Under this policy, manager of each employee comes with goals for each employee and meets with employee on regular basis to check his progress and to guide him to achieve required results. Once again continues support is required to achieve as it is very difficult to finish task in professional life.

To summarize, I think that strategy mentioned by the author cannot be applied in all the situations. Good judgment and detail analysis of problem in hand is required to take appropriate action. One should change his action plan based upon specific situation.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
i feel that u have given a very decent explanation. . .
i will rate 8/10 :)

Examples could be a little better. . .
Like:

If there is a team of Civil Engg and masons. And the masons were told to make the building without a plan, it was not possible because the masons know where to put the cement that's all. they wouldn't know how to make a building or how to plan a building structure.
Navjyot Ukarde
here to beat the GMAT