one more issue essay

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

one more issue essay

by themaharaja1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:00 am
“All citizens should be required to perform a specified amount of public service. Such service would benefit not only the country as a whole but also the individual participants.”
Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

Answer:

As per above statement, rather than devoting their entire life to individual interests, all citizens should do some specific amount of public service. The public service will be beneficial to country for different social and financial reasons. For example, public work will get done by public expense and government might not be required to spend huge amounts. Moreover such type of work will also benefit individuals. Individuals will become better citizens and they will develop skills and qualities required to be successful in life. I indeed think that the author is correct and it makes perfect sense to have mandatory public service for all citizens.

First of all, when an individual works in public service, he or she is a part of team of his fellow citizens. Irrespective of individual status everyone works together and this builds sense of "togetherness" in everyone. People tend to develop harmony for other people and team skills during such work. Moreover, an individual gets chance to interact with types of people with whom he might not have communicated before. That enables him to understand issues and concerns of other classes in the society. One can bulid a very good network through all the classes of society through such kind of public service. Along with these factors a person can build skills required to gain happiness and success in individual life. And at the end government also gets its social work done at low cost and citizens become better people. In short, public work is mutually beneficial to both parties.

To support my view I would like to provide example of an Indian movie by very famous Bolloywood (Indian) actor "Abhishek Bachan" (AB). In that movie AB has played a role of a spoiled kid of very rich parents. In order to improve his behavior judge and his parents order him to serve at an old age home in rural area. At first, AB creates lots of problems for elderly people in that old age home. But later on he understands about life of those elderly people, their issues, sorrows and difficulties. Then he fights with local con man to save that old age home from the demolition. In mean time he also fells in love with a young girl who is also doing social service in society. Just to conclude, AB becomes better person and society and government also benefit through his social work. This movie is based upon some other movie in some other country. And that movie is based upon a true story. Obviously the solution seems to be applicable to all places.

Therefore, I think social service is beneficial to government as well as to individuals. I think such type of programs should be carefully designed and implemented in society. Increased awareness among citizens and initiative by the government are required to make these programs successful.