issue essay

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

issue essay

by themaharaja1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:00 am
“People are likely to accept as a leader only someone who has demonstrated an ability to perform the same tasks that he or she expects others to perform.”
Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

Answer:

Above statement is about leaders and how do they accepted by society. The statement is saying that society will accept someone as leader only if that leader is behaving in a manner in which he wants others to behave. In short, people will follow easily by example rather than by just teaching or talking. I would like to say that I agree with the author. I indeed think that people like to follow someone who is performing tasks the same way he or she expects others to perform.

First of all, when someone is setting example by actual performance then people respect that person. Most of the times, it is very easy to talk great things or teach others about how they should behave. But it is more important and more difficult to behave in a manner in which one should behave. If one starts behaving in the manner "walk the talk" then people understand that that person is not just talking but actually behaving. He or she is taking tough decisions, making sacrifices or doing hard work. The whole act impresses people and they become follower of that person. To prove my point I would like to provide example of a great leader Mahatma Gandhi. Once a lady came with her son to Mahatma Gandhi. She complained that her son likes to eat sweets and that he avoids eating anything other than sweets. She requested Gandhi to convince her son about importance of proper diet. But, Gandhi told her to come after two weeks. And after two weeks Gandhi explained and convinced the son about eating all types of food. That lady was curious and asked Gandhi that why didn't he convinced her son two weeks back. Gandhi said that earlier even he himself had habit of eating sweets, therefore he didn't have right to convince her son. In two weeks time, Mahatma Gandhi himself controlled his diet and then convinced the son. We all know that Gandhi was a great leader and even he himself discussed about importance of "walk the talk" in one of his speeches.

To strengthen my view more I would like to provide example of other great leader, British leader, W. Churchill. During World War II Mr. Churchill wanted people not to fear and continue their daily routine. To convince his point whenever enemy used to bomb London, after bombings he used to go out on road and convince people that everything will soon become all right and they shouldn't worry. Mr. Churchill didn't get scared by the fact that enemy could start bombing once again and his life could be at threat.
Again we know that entire Britain is thankful to Mr. Churchill for his leadership during WW II.

In short, I think it is important to follow the "walk the talk" behavior. It is a great way to impress people and convince them of doing something. This suggestion should be used by parents to teach their sons and daughters good habits.