Questions regarding campus visits

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Questions regarding campus visits

by mage » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:46 am
Hi everybody.
I'm planning on visiting some east coast universities, but I live at the west coast. I'd like to ask you on opinions about what is the best way to optimize my trip (i.e. get a minimum amount of vacation and manage to visit the maximum amount of universities).

From what I've read, I need at least 1 full day per university, so I cannot squeeze 2 universities in the same day. Also, I was planning on visiting the universities at the end of March - beginning of April. Is that a good period?

My list of universities is:
Wharton
MIT
Kellog
Chicago
Columbia
Michigan
NYU
Yale

From what I understand, I need at least 2 weeks of vacation. Would it be possible to visit Columbia, NYU and Yale within 3 days (since they are all in NY) and Kellog, Chicago, Michigan within 3 more? What is the preferred way to move to the other cities (e.g. New York, Boston, Chicago, etc)? What is the best sequence to visit all of them?

Are there any tips for campus visits or anything that I should pay attention to?

Finally, what is the suggested attire for campus visits?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:45 am
A day per school is definitely enough time. However, be sure to check the schools' exam and break schedules so that you are visiting during a time when students are available to talk with you. Call the school admission departments prior to visiting so they can tell you which events and/or classes you can attend.

You could go between NY and Boston by train or a shuttle flight. You will definitely need to fly to Chicago.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mage » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:07 am
Thanks a lot for the the reply.

So, from what I understand, I can arrive at Boston. Spend 1 day at MIT, then go by bus to Yale (day 2), then go by train to NYC (and see NYU+Columbia at day 3) and then go by train to see Wharton.

Then, I can fly to Chicago, in order to see the other 3 campuses.

Is this feasible?

Also, what is the best time to visit universities? I understand that it's best for me to visit them during class time (and not at midterms/finals), but is it better to visit them at the end of March or at the end of September?

Finally, what is the best attire for a campus visit?