Resources for Writing Reference Letters.

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Resources for Writing Reference Letters.

by Webeh » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:37 pm
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew any good sites for:

1. Finding general advice for writing professional references? (Ex. Subjects to focus on, length, etc.) My references asked me to tell them what to write and now I'm currently compiling packages to make the entire process easier for them to complete.

2. Providing advice for writing personal statements.

3. Helping me compare US schools (not necessarily just for MBA programs). I'm from Canada and not very familiar with the reputation/academics/etc of certain US schools.

Anything would be really helpful. Thanks! :)

ETA: I know it's really early to even be considering this, but I'm curious what other people's take on this would be. I'm applying for a Master of Arts Administration. York is the only Canadian school I'm really considering, whereas all of my other choices are in the US. Say that I were to get into York and into other US schools, this would be a dilemma I'd have to consider. If I go to York, I pay the Canadian tuition and that won't kill me financially. However, I'd be taking the risk of some sort of strike putting my education on hold and messing up my annual schooling schedule. (York's been on strike a month now and I think they've been on strike when my friends went to York for undergrad.) On the other hand, I could choose a less strike-prone US school. But, money would be tighter for me. Any opinions?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:54 pm
Hi W,
Thanks for your question. Well first of all, I think you are in the right place, as there is a wealth of information and Admissions Consultants (like myself) that can help you with your LORs and essays.

** Like you eluded to, while LORs are written by someone else, its always a good idea to give the author a summary of your experience and what they should areas/topics they should focus on. Not only will you save them time (which they will definitely appreciate), but also 'steer' them in a direction that parallels what you have written in your essays.

In terms of websites - BTG is a great resource. Veritas Prep is also a great place to get MBA admissions-relavent information. I know, I know.. shameless plug! But we do have tons of FREE tools, resources and information (free GMAT practice test, school selector tool) that can help you with the admissions process.

You might also consider an MBA admissions book. I am a huge fan, as its a great starting point for an intro into the admission process. My favs are How To Get Into a Top MBA Program and Your MBA Game Plan.

Regards,

N
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep