Just Starting

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Just Starting

by katrina2009 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:51 pm
Looking for some advice--

I have a Bachelor's of Science degree in Psychology from ASU attained in December of 2002. I am considering graduate school and am currently making an adequate living as a professional in the blood banking industry. I live in Arizona and am looking at the WP Carey Business School and Thunderbird School of Global Management.

I am 28 and have been working for the same organization for the past 8 years to get to my current position. Really dreading taking a graduate school entrance exam, but wanted to find out if it would be better to score high on the GMAT and rely on average grades as an undergraduate, or wait 2 more years and enter a program as a working professional with 10 years solid work experience.

When I graduated from high school I attained a degree at a community college entered the work force and decided a bachelor's would be a minimum requirement to find a desirable career. I am now deciding that an MBA would also be a necessary addition to further future career endeavors.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by Jay Allen » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:43 am
There's not much difference between 8 years of work history and 10 years of work history.

Fortunately, great work experience and a solid GMAT score and mitigate the concerns the adcomm might have about your academic history.

Focus on really performing well on the GMAT. It's a test that can be prepared for and outworked. If you hit your target of a 720, you'll be in excellent position to get into your target schools.

Best of luck!

Jay