very tough CR1..Please help....

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

very tough CR1..Please help....

by src_saurav » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:47 pm
The owners of a business have decided to rewire the telecommunication lines throughout their headquarters. They would like to use fiber optic cabling, but are concerned about the cost. If they wait one year, the cost of a foot of fiber optic cabling will almost certainly increase by about 20 percent.

Which of the following would most strengthen the decision by the owners to wait a year to rewire the headquarters with fiber optic cabling?

a)If they wait longer than one year, the price of fiber optic cabling may increase even more.
b)If they choose to have the rewiring done now, a local contractor will discount any future purchases of fiber optic cables.
c) Over a third of the headquarter's office space will be sold off in the next year.
d) Production costs for fiber optic cables are expected to drop in about 18 months.
e) A new technique that is more cost-effective and of better quality than fiber optic cabling is expected to be on the market in about one year.

My answer E because they will not need it next year

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:12 pm
src_saurav wrote:My answer E because they will not need it next year
Getting CR questions right requires noticing key details, and getting this question right requires noticing the detail what the question asks.

It asks what would strengthen the decision, not just to wait a year, but to wait a year rewire the headquarters with fiber optic cabling specifically.

So the answer has to be one that shows how they will gain an advantage by waiting a year to use fiber optic cabling.

So choice E does not work, because while choice E implies that an advantage can be gained by waiting a year, that advantage can only be gained by using a product different from fiber optic cabling.

There is an answer choice that seems to show how they could gain an advantage by waiting a year to rewire using fiber optic cabling.

Choice C seems to indicate that the 20 percent increase in the cost of fiber optic cabling will be more than offset by the expected reduction in office space and a concomitant reduction in need for cabling.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Legendary Member

by nikhilgmat31 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:38 am
I will go with C.

if more than 33 % of office area is gone then price to do cabling in rest 60% will less even if price of cabling is increased 20% per foot.