Verbal Review Q ..Plz help

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Verbal Review Q ..Plz help

by swati.sug » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:55 am
Since 1986 when the Department of Labor began to allow investment officers’ fees to be based on how the funds they manage perform, several corporations began paying their investment advisers a small basic fee, with a contract promising higher fees if the managers perform well.

(A) investment officers’ fees to be based on how the funds they manage perform, several corporations began
(B) investment officers’ fees to be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several corporations began
(C) that fees of investment officers be based on how the funds they manage perform, several corporations have begun
(D) fees of investment officers to be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several corporations have begun
(E) that investment officers’ fees be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several corporations began

I thought Allow will be required to be followed by that
Please tell what makes choice C wrong

by Vignesh.4384 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:20 am
IMO B.

A comes close but ..it is lil bit messed up in the middle.

C has a 2 errors i guess . I wil try listing them . Please correct me if i am wrong

1) for sure "that" is unnecessay .. mostly that should be unsed in a restrictive sense .. here it does not ..

2) have begun also is used wrongly i guess .. the first part of the sentence says "Since 1860 .... " This action carries on til now

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Re: Verbal Review Q ..Plz help

by sprony » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:42 am
I'll go with D.
C is wrong because 'allow that' is not idiomatic.

e.g. I will not allow you to go. (you can't do 'I will not allow that you go' etc - that's not the right use).

I will also say 'D' is right, because 'they' should point to investment officers, and not 'investment officers' fees'
~~~
I'll have the 800 score, please.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by JDesai01 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:50 am
What is the answer? I think it is D. Think you need to use present perfect "have begun" because the second part of sentence still continues today

Re: Verbal Review Q ..Plz help

by kiranlegend » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:52 pm
swati.sug wrote:Since 1986 when the Department of Labor began to allow investment officers’ fees to be based on how the funds they manage perform, several corporations began paying their investment advisers a small basic fee, with a contract promising higher fees if the managers perform well.

(A) investment officers’ fees to be based on how the funds they manage perform, several corporations began
(B) investment officers’ fees to be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several corporations began
(C) that fees of investment officers be based on how the funds they manage perform, several corporations have begun
(D) fees of investment officers to be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several corporations have begun
(E) that investment officers’ fees be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several corporations began

I thought Allow will be required to be followed by that
Please tell what makes choice C wrong
IMO D.. because of have begun and also allow to is better to allow that .

guys, I have a question here: In choice B, can we reject it on the basis of no proper referent to 'they' ? or is 'they' referring to corporations? please let me know:)

thanks!

by sibbineni » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:22 am
IMO D

Here the pronoun should have logical noun reference not possesive form

they-->officers (correct)

they--->officers' (wrong)

Legendary Member

by reachac » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:58 am
@kiranlegend, in B investment officers' is possesive and hence should ahve a possesive pronoun modifying it. They in B is not referring to corporations but rather trying to modify investment officers, something which is not present in the sentence

IMO D