Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

Unearthed in China

This topic has 1 expert reply and 12 member replies
ankit1383 Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
Joined
27 Jul 2008
Posted:
159 messages
Thanked:
3 times
Unearthed in China Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:21 pm
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    Unearthed in China, fossils of feathered dinosaurs offer the most dramatic evidence yet
    discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds.


    A. offer the most dramatic evidence yet discovered of the close evolutionary
    relationship between dinosaurs and birds
    B. offer evidence more dramatic than what has yet been discovered of the close
    evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds
    C. offer more dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship than any yet
    discovered between dinosaurs and birds
    D. have offered the most dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship
    between dinosaurs and birds that have yet been discovered
    E. have offered more dramatic evidence than any that has yet been discovered of the
    close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds

    Is the usage have offered correct.......
    Plas help me negate D

    Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    logitech GMAT Titan
    Joined
    20 Oct 2008
    Posted:
    2136 messages
    Followed by:
    20 members
    Thanked:
    232 times
    GMAT Score:
    730
    Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:42 pm
    D. have offered the most dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds that have yet been discovered

    NO you don't need Present Perfect tense here.

    Another problem with D is Relationship needs HAS not HAVE.

    So D is a bad option. BAD BAD BAD! Smile

    And A is the winner.

    _________________
    LGTCH
    ---------------------
    "DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

    ankit1383 Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
    Joined
    27 Jul 2008
    Posted:
    159 messages
    Thanked:
    3 times
    Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:22 pm
    Quote:
    Another problem with D is Relationship needs HAS not HAVE.
    Logitech....for me Fossils are plural and we need have....
    Can you Elaborate on this........

    logitech GMAT Titan
    Joined
    20 Oct 2008
    Posted:
    2136 messages
    Followed by:
    20 members
    Thanked:
    232 times
    GMAT Score:
    730
    Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:30 pm
    ankit1383 wrote:
    Quote:
    Another problem with D is Relationship needs HAS not HAVE.
    Logitech....for me Fossils are plural and we need have....
    Can you Elaborate on this........
    full verb is : HAVE OFFERED which means they started to offer in the past and they still do

    Yes fossilS are plural and OFFER is perfectly fine and A uses the simple present tense.

    _________________
    LGTCH
    ---------------------
    "DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

    ronniecoleman GMAT Destroyer!
    Joined
    16 Nov 2008
    Posted:
    546 messages
    Thanked:
    13 times
    Test Date:
    29th jan
    Target GMAT Score:
    780+
    GMAT Score:
    NA
    Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:25 am
    logitech wrote:
    D. have offered the most dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds that have yet been discovered

    NO you don't need Present Perfect tense here.

    Another problem with D is Relationship needs HAS not HAVE.

    So D is a bad option. BAD BAD BAD! Smile

    And A is the winner.
    agree with logitech on this...


    A. offer the most dramatic evidence yet discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds


    but Option A too has some problem,,
    misplacement of dramatic evidence of the close evolutionnary....

    _________________
    Admission champion, Hauz khaz
    011-27565856

    ronniecoleman GMAT Destroyer!
    Joined
    16 Nov 2008
    Posted:
    546 messages
    Thanked:
    13 times
    Test Date:
    29th jan
    Target GMAT Score:
    780+
    GMAT Score:
    NA
    Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:31 pm
    logitech wrote:
    ankit1383 wrote:
    Quote:
    Another problem with D is Relationship needs HAS not HAVE.
    Logitech....for me Fossils are plural and we need have....
    Can you Elaborate on this........
    full verb is : HAVE OFFERED which means they started to offer in the past and they still do

    Yes fossilS are plural and OFFER is perfectly fine and A uses the simple present tense.
    logitech i would really appreciate if you can help me out on this!!


    present perfect ---> action started in past and continues in the present

    i get confused sometimes regarding the continuity of the action,,

    feathered dinosaurs offer the most dramatic evidence..



    1995-- Discovered : offer evidence


    2009--- now: today also the evidence is there...

    so why can't i use the present participle tense.......

    _________________
    Admission champion, Hauz khaz
    011-27565856

    goelmohit2002 GMAT Titan Default Avatar
    Joined
    24 Dec 2008
    Posted:
    1799 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Thanked:
    35 times
    Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:55 am
    d) have offered the most dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds that have yet been discovered

    Can we eliminate "d" on the basis that it says birds and dinosaurs that have yet been discovered...whereas the original sentence says evidence that yet have been discovered. So it is changing the meaning.

    logitech GMAT Titan
    Joined
    20 Oct 2008
    Posted:
    2136 messages
    Followed by:
    20 members
    Thanked:
    232 times
    GMAT Score:
    730
    Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:29 am
    goelmohit2002 wrote:
    d) have offered the most dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds that have yet been discovered

    Can we eliminate "d" on the basis that it says birds and dinosaurs that have yet been discovered...whereas the original sentence says evidence that yet have been discovered. So it is changing the meaning.
    Not really

    relationship between dinosaurs and birds that have yet been discovered

    Thats the noun which is being modified, and also please note that HAVE needs be HAS

    _________________
    LGTCH
    ---------------------
    "DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

    goelmohit2002 GMAT Titan Default Avatar
    Joined
    24 Dec 2008
    Posted:
    1799 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Thanked:
    35 times
    Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:40 am
    yes, in that case modifier should be next to the noun it is modifying. If it wants to modify then it should be adjacent to relationship.

    "relationship between dinosaurs and birds that have yet been discovered "

    Also IMO relationship exists and not discovered. This sentence to me looks very awkward.

    Even if we say relationship is discovered, then also IMO better and clearer would have been

    "relationship that have yet been discovered between dinosaurs and birds "

    sungoal Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
    Joined
    09 Jul 2010
    Posted:
    93 messages
    Thanked:
    5 times
    Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:22 am
    Even I am also confused between A and D..

    Can somebdy please help..??

    paes GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
    Joined
    13 Apr 2010
    Posted:
    995 messages
    Thanked:
    31 times
    Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:07 pm
    sungoal wrote:
    Even I am also confused between A and D..

    Can somebdy please help..??
    IMO A

    We can eliminate D and E : seeing have offered only.

    An event which is independent from the time : a simple present is preferred.

    Here
    A :
    fossils of feathered dinosaurs offer : simple present

    Thanked by: anantbhatia

    GMAT/MBA Expert

    Stacey Koprince GMAT Instructor
    Joined
    27 Dec 2006
    Posted:
    2228 messages
    Followed by:
    584 members
    Thanked:
    597 times
    GMAT Score:
    780
    Post Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:18 am
    received a PM asking me to respond. Would be happy to, but I don't see a source (author) cited for this problem! Please do so and I will respond!

    Some general statements. There are times in a sentence when you could choose to use either present or present perfect. goel is right that D indicates that the dinosaurs and birds are somehow being modified by the "that have yet been discovered," which does unacceptably muddle the meaning. Or, logitech, if you want to say that the "have yet been discovered" modifies relationship, that also is the wrong thing. So, either way, the words no longer indicate the right meaning: that we're talking about the most dramatic evidence that has been discovered.

    _________________
    Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

    Stacey Koprince
    GMAT Instructor
    Director of Online Community
    Manhattan GMAT

    Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

    Learn more about me

    Free Manhattan GMAT online events - The first class of every online Manhattan GMAT course is free. Classes start every week.
    sachindia Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
    Joined
    22 Jun 2012
    Posted:
    258 messages
    Followed by:
    3 members
    Thanked:
    6 times
    GMAT Score:
    640
    Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:27 am
    Stacey Koprince wrote:
    received a PM asking me to respond. Would be happy to, but I don't see a source (author) cited for this problem! Please do so and I will respond!

    Some general statements. There are times in a sentence when you could choose to use either present or present perfect. goel is right that D indicates that the dinosaurs and birds are somehow being modified by the "that have yet been discovered," which does unacceptably muddle the meaning. Or, logitech, if you want to say that the "have yet been discovered" modifies relationship, that also is the wrong thing. So, either way, the words no longer indicate the right meaning: that we're talking about the most dramatic evidence that has been discovered.
    Hi Stacey,
    Its GMAT Prep.
    would really be glad if you can explain your reasoning to strike off the wrong answers .

    _________________
    Regards,
    Sach

    patanjali.purpose GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
    Joined
    03 Apr 2011
    Posted:
    784 messages
    Followed by:
    10 members
    Thanked:
    113 times
    Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:42 am
    sachindia wrote:
    would really be glad if you can explain your reasoning to strike off the wrong answers .
    My views:

    Quote:
    Unearthed in China, fossils of feathered dinosaurs offer the most dramatic evidence yet discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds.

    A. offer the most dramatic evidence yet discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds
    Could not find anything wrong

    Quote:
    B. offer evidence more dramatic than what has yet been discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds
    Many issues:
    (1) MORE DRAMATIC is wrong as we are talking about all discoveries made till yet. MOST DRAMATIC required
    (2) what has yet been discovered - VERY WORDY

    Quote:
    C. offer more dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship than any yet discovered between dinosaurs and birds
    Many issues:
    (1) MORE DRAMATIC is wrong as we are talking about all discoveries made till yet. MOST DRAMATIC required
    (2) the modifier "between dinosaurs and birds" should be closer to RELATIONSHIP
    (3) what does ANY modifies (RELATIONSHIP OR EVIDENCE) - not clear

    Quote:
    D. have offered the most dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds that have yet been discovered
    (1) HAVE YET DISCOVERED modifies "dinosaurs and birds"
    (2) comparison between EVIDENCES not clear

    Quote:
    E. have offered more dramatic evidence than any that has yet been discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds
    MORE DRAMATIC is wrong as we are talking about all discoveries made till yet. MOST DRAMATIC required

    IMO A

    Thanked by: sachindia, sahilchaudhary

    Best Conversation Starters

    1 abhasjha 56 topics
    2 tanvis1120 23 topics
    3 qwerty12321 18 topics
    4 aditya8062 18 topics
    5 Nijo 18 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

    Most Active Experts

    1 image description GMATGuruNY

    The Princeton Review Teacher

    189 posts
    2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

    GMAT Prep Now Teacher

    139 posts
    3 image description Jim@StratusPrep

    Stratus Prep

    60 posts
    4 image description David@GMATPrepNow

    GMAT Prep Now Teacher

    56 posts
    5 image description Jon@Admissionado

    Admissionado

    46 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts