Ultimate Career Goals

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

hmm

by resilient » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:45 pm
when the essay asks for ultimate career goals. What are they specifically looking for? are there any buzzwords or topics to touch on specifically?
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:46 pm
Dear Engin:

Admissions committees are looking for you to write about what you want to do post-MBA and where you want to be 10/15/20 years later. They are not looking for buzzwords, nor do they want you to say you want to be a consultant/investment banker/brand manager because you think it is what they want to read. If you truly do want to be a consultant/investment banker/brand manager, then you should write that in your essay. No matter what you want to do post-MBA, you need to explain how the MBA will assist you in achieving that career and why their program is a good fit for your aspirations.

Good luck on your essays!
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Legendary Member

thank you

by resilient » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:24 pm
THis makes sense. THank you for your explanations.

I have researched the best essays and seen the sample characteristics of the best essays.. Do you mind explaining what the best characerisitcs of best essays are?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by dmagnia » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:55 pm
dude, i can't help but reply...

if you have already seen the best characteristics then you should know where to go with your essays. I felt my best essays were those that told a story i.e. they opened up with an anecdote, a quote, or something similar. each paragraph flowed well, built upon the previous paragraph and supported the thesis. my conclusion summarized my key points, supported the thesis, and ended within the word limit.

if you are trying to be anything but yourself (using words like synergy etc) it is going to show in your essays, no matter if it is about leadership or your career goals, and will reflect badly (read not freakin good!). this is your chance to sell yourself to the adcom!!! anything less and you should expect to be dinged no matter if your GMAT score is an 800! also, try to stay away from reading too many admission essays as you will start to try to emulate their style. begin with an outline, write it out, send to a couple of close friends/colleagues, and revise/edit.

Legendary Member

excellent

by resilient » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:46 am
You are right. I am looking into an EMBA program because it fits me best. THe essays are important and I want to shine. My essays are good actually. I hammer home on 2/3. ONe is missing an element of story and flow. THis is because it is asking me my major career goals... the kicker is that I am awaiting an offer from the a branch of the school itself. Therefore, my essays depend on ia few contingincies. THerefore I kept the essay broad and long term goals in specific detail. I want to ad volume to it and make it more interesting like the other essays. THis is why I am concerned. ALso I am alone on this I can't find people to look at the essay for me. Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Re: hmm

by aim-wsc » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:24 am
Enginpasa1 wrote:when the essay asks for ultimate career goals. What are they specifically looking for? are there any buzzwords or topics to touch on specifically?
Your long-term plans :D

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sampleresume » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:18 pm
Good luck