Typical Holiday

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Typical Holiday

by graghukalyan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:56 am
The typical holiday shopper, although seduced by row upon row of novelty gifts, tend to purchase more practical items these days because he or she realizes that frivolous gadgets are often cheaply made.
.A. The typical holiday shopper, although seduced by row upon row of novelty gifts, tend to purchase more practical
B. As a typical holiday shopper, the tendency to purchase row upon row of novelty gifts is won over by the purchase of more practical
C. Typically, the holiday shopper who is attracted to novelty gifts tends to remain practical with
D. The typical holiday shopper, although seduced by row upon row of novelty gifts, tends to purchase more practical
E. The typical holiday shopper, although seduced by row upon row of novelty gifts, tends to purchase the most practical

Answers with explanations pls.

Re: Typical Holiday

by shilpi84 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:31 am
graghukalyan wrote:The typical holiday shopper, although seduced by row upon row of novelty gifts, tend to purchase more practical items these days because he or she realizes that frivolous gadgets are often cheaply made.
.A. The typical holiday shopper, although seduced by row upon row of novelty gifts, tend to purchase more practical
B. As a typical holiday shopper, the tendency to purchase row upon row of novelty gifts is won over by the purchase of more practical
C. Typically, the holiday shopper who is attracted to novelty gifts tends to remain practical with
D. The typical holiday shopper, although seduced by row upon row of novelty gifts, tends to purchase more practical
E. The typical holiday shopper, although seduced by row upon row of novelty gifts, tends to purchase the most practical

IMO E
A)Subject verb agreement
B)awkward
C)Changes the meaning
D)Most should be used

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: Typical Holiday

by madhur_ahuja » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:38 am
shilpi84 wrote:
graghukalyan wrote:The typical holiday shopper, although seduced by row upon row of novelty gifts, tend to purchase more practical items these days because he or she realizes that frivolous gadgets are often cheaply made.

IMO E
A)Subject verb agreement
B)awkward
C)Changes the meaning
D)Most should be used
What is more modifying ? Practical or items.

If its practical .. it should be Most

If its items .. more is more suitable .. then D is a answer..

by graghukalyan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:00 am
Agree with Madhur. I chose E and got it wrong.
"D" is the OA.

Now, I think "row upon row of novelty gifts" gives an indication that it has to do with the number/quantity of items. Hence "more" is appropriate.

Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Also, thx Madhur for explaining.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by madhur_ahuja » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:40 am
graghukalyan wrote:Agree with Madhur. I chose E and got it wrong.
"D" is the OA.

Now, I think "row upon row of novelty gifts" gives an indication that it has to do with the number/quantity of items. Hence "more" is appropriate.

Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Also, thx Madhur for explaining.
Actually, I don't think it has to do with number/quantity of items. Contrast is between frivolous and practical. Thus intention is to incline towards more practical rather than more items.

In any case, even if its intended to modify items, most should be wrong because it implies that only one item, while the contrast is with multiple items gagdets (plural).