Trying to do the GMAT Prep As many times as needed to Pract

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hello

Just wanted to get some feedback on this topic.

I have read on some posts about people doing the GMAT prep over and over again not for the time practice and score but to keep on finding and doing questions that they have not attempted before.

Eg

I have taken Practice test twice, granted questions repeat, however, if you have solved them and can get them correct, next time by answering these correct, you can hit the next set of harder level questions you were not able to be exposed to before. Even if one gets a 780 on the gmat prep at least 12-13 questions were wrong in quant. Which means there still are questions need to be solved.

The idea to practice the really hard actual GMAT questions, solve them, you have a timer, give yourself two minutes, if do not know the solutions, educated guess and then move on. This way one can develop time management on questions which will stump us and cause problems.
Also, doing as many hard questions as possible allows us to be exposed to the variations of the same questions.

Thanks
Khurram

GMAT Instructor
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_Tatiana » Tue May 27, 2008 7:20 pm
I agree that exposure to difficult questions beforehand is important to doing well on the actual test. However, I'm not sure that repeating the same test over and over again is the best use of your time. If you are "solving" many of the same problems you have already seen, you will not have a good sense of how long they will actually take you.

The most important thing with any type of question, I believe, is fully understanding how to solve the question correctly, whether you got it right or wrong. Not all practice tests provide this. If you don't understand the questions but just click on the answer you know to be right, your score may improve with regards to that specific test, but it may not improve for other tests.

In short, I think you are best off with study materials that include difficult questions, in which the method of solving the question is very clearly spelled out.

Best wishes,

Tatiana
Tatiana Becker | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

by khurram » Wed May 28, 2008 6:55 am
No, just solve the ones Ihave not done before. look at the timer, if I cannot do it in 2 minutes, move on. This allows/forces me to think fast.

I have done gmat prep 3 times (maths) and Test 2 once.

So far Test 1 and Test 2 hardly any overlap. Test 1 sec time, 50 % overalp, test 1 3rd time, only one question repeat from before.

The ones I cannot solve, post it here, and see the solutions, understand the concepts and move on.

The variations allow me to find patterns of weakness.

Thanks for your input.

Khurram

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Spence » Wed May 28, 2008 3:20 pm
There are soooo many practice questions in the three different official guides (11th edition, plus separate verbal and quant books) that you'd be better off doing that than retaking GMATprep again and again just to get a handful of new questions.

by khurram » Thu May 29, 2008 11:40 am
First, been there, done that.

Done PR tests, and MGMAT test

Sec-Gmat Prep has some hard questions that you will not find in OG or even similar, you can seem my posts of the ones I recently posted.

Third, just going by OG into the test, you are in for a big shock as it much harder.

OG 11 hardest are at best maybe 650 very low 700 level.

Khurram

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by tmmyc » Fri May 30, 2008 8:48 am
Hi khurram,

During the last few days before my actual test, I did exactly what you did and took the GMAT Prep exams over and over. What this did was expose me to the hardest questions that were the most representative of the actual exam.

Doing this also got me used to the look-and-feel of the GMAT interface since the GMAT Prep software and the actual GMAT look almost identical. I second your recommendation and I know many other 700+ scorers would as well.

tmmyc

by khurram » Fri May 30, 2008 1:49 pm
thanks

That means I am on the right track.

There are so many questions that I have never seen before and quite a few that are same question is tons of dif variations, so I am getting used to it.

Next step to see thru Gmat tricks.

Khurram