Tricky

This topic has expert replies

What's the answer?

Employers should be more concerned about employee productivity.
11%
Some employers would be willing to accept employee performance output less than that at the higher range of an employee’s productivity.
56%
No employer should expect an organization's employees to operate at maximum productivity.
No votes
Some employees prefer to work at output levels less than their maximum productivity.
22%
Labor costs need to be curtailed to improve the vitality of a nation’s economy.
11%

Total votes: 9

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Tricky

by amandas2005 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:09 pm
I'm pretty sure this is an inference question...not really sure where to begin here.

Labor costs are the dominant cost of doing business in all but a few endeavors. For most jobs, the variation in individual work-related performance is likely to be greater than the range in compensation; thus it is possible to maintain productivity and work quality while decreasing labor costs.

Which of the following must be true on the basis of the statements above?

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:09 am
Labor costs are the dominant cost of doing business in all but a few endeavors. For most jobs, the variation in individual work-related performance is likely to be greater than the range in compensation; thus it is possible to maintain productivity and work quality while decreasing labor costs.

my take is B .i can take figures to explain .let us say there are 2 people in my company one with the productivity of 100 units and other with the productivity of 10 units .now the premise says that variation in work related performance is likely to be more than the range in compensation ,so lets say that my guy with 100 units gets 100 $ and the guy with 10 units gets 90 $ .
now because the argument concludes that it is possible to maintain productivity and work quality while decreasing labor costs. so it assuming that i can reduce the compensation of my 100 units guy without affecting his unit output
this leads me to B
plz share the OA and the source

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:21 am
Yes the option B is surely the correct answer. Two ways:-

If let us see that you see all the other options, then they get cancelled as they are extreme statements and only B remains.

Also, B can be inferred from the passage above.

The only question that I have is that can Option B also be the assumption for this question.

According to me this is an assumption question and not an inference question.

In the stimulus a conclusion is present, option B is an assumption.
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by Lifetron » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:09 pm
A - "Employers" includes everyone, but the argument has some exceptions when it says - "all but a few endeavors" & "For most jobs" -> not all the jobs ! Extreme words. Out !

C - "No employer should expect". Same reason as A. Extreme words. Out !

D - Seems a lil bit far-fetched. Argument jus says "the variation in performance". It doesn't say anything about the preference of some employees !

E - Out of scope !

Hence, B !