TOEFL for Canadians?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

TOEFL for Canadians?

by baberm » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:32 pm
Hi Stacy,

I have a bachelors degree in Political Science from Concordia University in Montreal, Canada. I am a Canadian citizen currently residing in San Francisco, California for the past five years as a permanent alien resident (green card). I have my GMAT exam scheduled at the end of this month.

I would like your professional advice on whether US Business schools generally require Canadians from accredited English speaking universities to take the TOEFL exam? I will be applying to Cal State schools and UC schools here in the Bay Area.

Secondly, should I be applying to US business schools as an international student or a California state resident?

Baber

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:29 pm
Dear Baber,

You will be applying as a Permanent Resident (green card holder). Whether or not the California schools will view you as a state resident or not is something you should address directly with them. If your bachelor's degree is from a school in English-speaking Canada, then you will not have to take the TOEFL. Since your degree is from a Montreal school, then it is possible you might need to take the TOEFL. Once again, I would ask the schools directly to clarify if you will need to meet that requirement.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me