To accept an early offer or not

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
2007 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner!

To accept an early offer or not

by SigGolfer » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:22 am
Amy/Stacy,

Thank you for taking a look at my post. I have a question regarding whether to accept an early offer or not. I applied to five schools in the first round. One of my top picks admitted me very quickly and also offered me a significant scholarship. However, I have to put a $2,000 deposit down by Feb. 1st, in order to secure admission and the scholarship.

Meanwhile, I know that some of the largest scholarships for some of my other top choice schools aren't offered until early February. Would it be considered rude to ask for an extention of the Feb 1st deadline, so that I have time to give the other schools a chance? Should I reveal my offer to the other schools, in order to try to find out whether I am in consideration for the larger scholarships? Thank you for your time and advice!

P.S. Here is a link to my "stats" - https://www.beatthegmat.com/mccombs-olin ... t5702.html

SigGolfer

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:20 pm
Hi SigGolfer,

It never hurts to ask, but realistically it's unlikely that the deadline will be extended. Are you already accepted to the other schools? If so, you can certainly attempt to leverage your other scholarship in a discussion.

If you are willing to risk losing the deposit, you could accept the early decision offer and then change your mind if you hear from other schools that you would prefer.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting