Timing Problem - too fast :-(

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Timing Problem - too fast :-(

by surajsagi » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:06 am
Hi,

I am facing a strange problem - i am doing my questions much faster than i should be i.e. i usually take less than 60 sec per question (85% to 90%), while ill have around 120 sec in the real exam

I am aware the right thing will be read the question carefully, but while practising, i have a habit of working very fast and sometime, if ends up in careless mistakes

Can anyone suggest me an approach, where i am able to utilize the time in a proper manner

Thanks,
SM

by agent47 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:03 am
It is good if you are fast but i recommend you to wait and improve your accuracy in the initial stages of the prepration and then work on the timing part ;-) accordingly.. I had encountered sme problem but then I formed a habit of solving each problem with a pen and a paper you can try this it will work for sure...

And for example if you are doing a verbal question then write the conclusion premises and assumption and write ABCDE then cut each of he choice which you think is not correct then at last you will be left only with the correct answer in more time hope it helps ...

Followed by:1 members

by Magellan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:32 am
What questions are you solving when going too fast (which book or what CATs)?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:31 pm
Generally speaking, any bad habits you have in practice will get magnified during the stress of the exam. So if you're making a decent number of careless mistakes due to speed now, that number is likely to go up on the real test.

Keep an error log and write down not just what problems you get wrong but WHY you got them wrong. Then think about habits you can put in place to minimize those errors in future. If you are doing too much, or trying to remember too much, in your head, write stuff down. If you are trying to do two math steps at once, do them separately.

I tend to work too quickly on some question types too and I've instituted a rule for myself. I'm not allowed to spend less than a minute on a problem (less than 45 sec for SC). If I'm done in under a minute, I immediately do the problem again - all the way through and, if possible, using a different approach. This helps me to calm down and do the problem thoroughly the first time b/c I know I'm just going to have to do it again if I do it too quickly. :)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

by surajsagi » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:16 pm
Hi Stacy,

This is really good suggestion - ill definately spend minimum 1 min per question and in case i finish early, i'll re do the questions

Hopefully this will also cut down my careless errors

Thanks,
SM

by vgmat2 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:34 am
Hey suraj

I was curious what are your test scores ? If you can post the split of quant and verbal that will help too.

thanks
Vgmat2