This Question in Under 2 Minutes???

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

This Question in Under 2 Minutes???

by KylieAquino87 » Fri May 23, 2014 7:25 am
Can anyone explain to me a method to do this OG problem in less than two minutes?

Many thanks!

List T consists of 30 positive decimals, none of which is an integer, and the sum of 30 decimals is S, the estimated sum of the 30 decimals E is defined as follows. each decimal in T whose tenths digit is even is rounded up to the nearest integer, each integer in decimal T whose tenth digit is odd is rounded down to the nearest integer, E is sum of resulting integers, . IF 1/3 of decimals in T have tenths digits that are even, which of follwoing is possible value of E - S ?

A I only
B I and II
c I and III
D II and III
E I , II and III

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri May 23, 2014 8:14 am
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri May 23, 2014 9:59 am
Hi KylieAquino87,

In the GMAT Quant section, not every question can be answered in under 2 minutes. Some can be answered really quickly (30 seconds), while others take longer (upwards of 3 minutes, if you know what you're doing). Holding yourself to a "2 minutes or less" standard is not realistic. The AVERAGE amount of time per Quant question is about 2 minutes, but that does not mean that you should spend 2 minutes on each question. Instead, focus on being efficient (taking notes, doing work on the pad, using tactics/pattern-matching/Number Properties in instead of doing complex math, etc.).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri May 23, 2014 4:32 pm
Hi Kylie! Good to see you again.

This is certainly not a question that the GMAT expects you to do in 2 minutes. In fact, this is a question that most savvy test-takers (even those aiming for a 700+) should probably skip. The GMAT designs certain questions to be too hard to reasonably solve, primarily (as far as I can tell) for 2 reasons: 1) to bog down the stubborn students who insist on solving every problem, and 2) to make distinctions between 780 and 800 level test takers. If you're not aiming for a 780 or above, this kind of question isn't worth your time. Even if you are, it might not be!

Remember - the GMAT is above all a decision-making test, and there will be plenty of times that the best decision you can make is to skip an excruciatingly hard question.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri May 23, 2014 5:43 pm
Ceilidh makes a very good point here.

This is the kind of question that can kill a perfectionist's score, because he/she refuses to guess and move on. Remember that you can incorrectly answer questions on the GMAT and still score 800.

For more on guessing, you might like this article: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2014/02/ ... n-the-gmat

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by [email protected] » Sat May 24, 2014 1:47 am
I may be wrong but I will guess the answer as follows :-

1/3 numbers are even and rounded UP. Therefore 2/3 numbers are rounded down.
More numbers are rounded down. So E-S should be -ve. So answer must be -16.