this is confusing..

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

this is confusing..

by woo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:13 am
Out of America’s fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.
(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

Doesn't "that" refer to the noun before it? How come in this case, "that" refers to "a market" but not "furniture and fixtures"?

OA is B

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:640

by xperience » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:19 am
The correct option here is (B).

Let's use the process of elimination as below:

Out of America’s fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.
(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

Option (A) - incorrect usage of verb "have grown". "Market" is singular and hence requires a singular verb. The correct verb should be "has grown".
Option (B) - seems to be correct as comapred to previous one so shortlisted
Option (C) - incorrect usage of words "things that are antiques". Also, the verb "that bring" is incorrect tense
Option (D) - same error as in (A) regarding verb "has grown"
Option (E) - incorrect tense of verb form "that bring". The writeer says that it is bringing back, which means that it is currently in process or going on. So "that bring" is incorect verb tense.

So we are left with option (B) which stands out among the rest and is the answer choice.

Regards,
Anubhav
Every morning I go through Forbes list of 100 richest men on this planet. If my name is not in there, I go to work..!

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

Re: this is confusing..

by goelmohit2002 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:24 am
woo wrote:Out of America’s fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.
(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing

Doesn't "that" refer to the noun before it? How come in this case, "that" refers to "a market" but not "furniture and fixtures"?

OA is B
Can someone please share his/her opinion about the above highlighted doubt....

Followed by:1 members

by champ0007 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:00 am
If you break up the sentence,

Out of America’s fascination with all things antique HAS grown a market (for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures) that IS bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.

The Skeleton can be -
Out of America's fascination with X has grown a Market for Y that is bringing back Z

The bit "for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures" is just telling about the kind of market.

by mittalashwani13 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:53 am
Here "That" is used as an adverbial modifier... It is not modifying that noun 'a market but the action "a market has grown for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures" ...

Here it can't modify only 'a market' because the trend is bringing back the bygone styles of furniture and fixtures (such as the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub)

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:22 am
mittalashwani13 wrote:Here "That" is used as an adverbial modifier... It is not modifying that noun 'a market but the action "a market has grown for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures" ...

Here it can't modify only 'a market' because the trend is bringing back the bygone styles of furniture and fixtures (such as the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub)
This is what OG says about this "that bringing"....looks like that bringing is modifying market only. But I am really confused why it is not modifying the adjacent noun.....as Manhattan says.

"all of the choices except B use plural verbs after that, thus illogically stating either that bygone styles of furniture and fixtures, or fixtures alone, are reviving the particular pieces mentioned; it is instead the market for those styles that is bringing back such pieces, as B states."

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:24 am
champ0007 wrote:If you break up the sentence,

Out of America’s fascination with all things antique HAS grown a market (for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures) that IS bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.

The Skeleton can be -
Out of America's fascination with X has grown a Market for Y that is bringing back Z

The bit "for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures" is just telling about the kind of market.
Can you please help me to understand why "Y" is not modified by "that"....since over here "Y" too is a noun/noun phrase only.

by mittalashwani13 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:29 am
goelmohit2002 wrote:
mittalashwani13 wrote:Here "That" is used as an adverbial modifier... It is not modifying that noun 'a market but the action "a market has grown for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures" ...

This is what OG says about this "that bringing"....looks like that bringing is modifying market only. But I am really confused why it is not modifying the adjacent noun.....as Manhattan says.

"all of the choices except B use plural verbs after that, thus illogically stating either that bygone styles of furniture and fixtures, or fixtures alone, are reviving the particular pieces mentioned; it is instead the market for those styles that is bringing back such pieces, as B states."
Manhattan also says that if it is an adverbial modifier then it needs not be adjacent to the phrase it modifies. To identify if it is an adverbial modifier, see if the modifier is modifying the action i.e. How

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:18 am
mittalashwani13 wrote:
goelmohit2002 wrote:

Manhattan also says that if it is an adverbial modifier then it needs not be adjacent to the phrase it modifies. To identify if it is an adverbial modifier, see if the modifier is modifying the action i.e. How
Hi

your reasoning looks logical....but i am a bit confused....since OG says that it is indeed market that is bringing....

Please note that this is what OG says:

"it is instead the market for those styles that is bringing back such pieces, as B states."

Looks like there is some missing connection between your reasoning and OG explanation that I am not able to connect.

Can you please help me understand the same ?

Thanks
Mohit

by mittalashwani13 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:56 am
mittalashwani13 wrote:
goelmohit2002 wrote:

OG11-SC#116 --- In the explanation, book never discusses the use of 'that' ... it just said that "a market" is a subject for verbs "has grown" and "is bringing" ...explanation is on 715 ...pls have a look ..

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:54 am
mittalashwani13 wrote: OG11-SC#116 --- In the explanation, book never discusses the use of 'that' ... it just said that "a market" is a subject for verbs "has grown" and "is bringing" ...explanation is on 715 ...pls have a look ..
Thanks Ashwani.

I looked into the same...but in OG explanation there is no mention about the adverbial modifier....

It looks like as if they want to refer Market with "that"....

I am still not able to understand why "that" is going so far to find its antecedent to which it can attach.

by mittalashwani13 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:18 pm
goelmohit2002 wrote:
mittalashwani13 wrote: OG11-SC#116 --- In the explanation, book never discusses the use of 'that' ... it just said that "a market" is a subject for verbs "has grown" and "is bringing" ...explanation is on 715 ...pls have a look ..
Thanks Ashwani.

I looked into the same...but in OG explanation there is no mention about the adverbial modifier....

It looks like as if they want to refer Market with "that"....

I am still not able to understand why "that" is going so far to find its antecedent to which it can attach.
You're welcome Mohit...

But pls don't attach your understanding to the OG because lots of people read the threads and make wrong assumptions... in OG-11, book NEVER discusses the use of 'THAT' in the problem discussed in this thread ......Also, there is NO point for the book to discuss the use of that because 'that' appears in each of the options...

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by dumb.doofus » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:39 pm
One love, one blood, one life. You got to do what you should.
https://dreambigdreamhigh.blocked/
https://gmattoughies.blocked/

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:02 am
dumb.doofus wrote:Very well explained by RonPurewal

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/og-116-t1374.html
Hi DD,

Thanks for directing to the useful post.

In the above post

Stacey mentioned

============================================
"the "bygone styles of furniture and fixtures" are what is being brought back - it would be illogical to say that they are bringing themselves back. The market is bringing back the styles of furniture and fixtures, which include the chaise lounge, etc.

This is a really difficult, confusing sentence. :)"

==================================================

But looking at the sentence it looks that what is been brought back is chase lounge...etc....not styles....

But the explanation of stacey seems to be at odds to that....

I tried posting my query there too....but it looks that the thread there is locked up....Can you please help me understand what I am missing here.

Legendary Member

by scoobydooby » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:48 am
Out of America’s fascination with X has grown a market ( for Y) that is bringing back the Z

X: "all things antique"
Y: " bygone styles of furniture and fixtures"
Z: "chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub"

the market for antique style of furniture is bringing back old style furniture.
(the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub presumably are instances of old styled furniture)