this forum makes me doubtful...

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

this forum makes me doubtful...

by 2008 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:32 am
hi guys,
i am training since 3 months now.
Yesterday i tried 40 questions from the OG11 made of PS + DS and did 3 mistakes
This morning i tried 25 questions from the OG11 made of CR + SC and did 4 mistakes.

i have been timing my performance and it was ok.
The questions were all the one with last digit "8" (8, 18, 28 etc) so different levels of difficulties.

i was pretty happy, until today i started taking some questions from this forum (PS and SC) and i find most of them much more difficult than the OG11th....

how should i evaluate this?

i have my test on august 21st, and i have 2 weeks off, so i can really study hard if i need so, thanks for the advices

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jiujitsubri » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:01 pm
Have you taken any of the CAT practice exams from MBA.com?

What is your target GMAT score?

I also get intiminated and doubtful of my abilities when reading some of the sample questions here. The reason they're tough is a lot of people here are very high scorers and post questions they're having trouble with. So if someone who scores 700+ is posting questions they're having difficulty with, they'll seem tough to most 700+ test takers and certainly to the average scorers.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

Re: this forum makes me doubtful...

by Ian Stewart » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:56 pm
2008 wrote: i was pretty happy, until today i started taking some questions from this forum (PS and SC) and i find most of them much more difficult than the OG11th....
Yes, I agree with the above post- the only questions people post here are the ones they're having trouble with, so naturally the questions are, on average, more difficult than a random sample of OG questions. And some of the questions posted here are not GMAT questions at all- some appear to be from the IIM exam, and would never appear on a GMAT.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

Re: this forum makes me doubtful...

by lunarpower » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:10 pm
Ian Stewart wrote:
2008 wrote: i was pretty happy, until today i started taking some questions from this forum (PS and SC) and i find most of them much more difficult than the OG11th....
Yes, I agree with the above post- the only questions people post here are the ones they're having trouble with, so naturally the questions are, on average, more difficult than a random sample of OG questions. And some of the questions posted here are not GMAT questions at all- some appear to be from the IIM exam, and would never appear on a GMAT.
yeah.

and, especially on s.c., there are questions from sources of dubious authenticity (and occasional lack of fidelity to the rules followed by the real test). this is not to say that such questions are useless - they can in fact be good practice - but to remind you only to treat rules gleaned from OFFICIAL problems as "hard and fast rules".

because users here aren't currently required to post sources of problems, it's hard to tell the quality of a problem's source. the only pattern i've really noticed is that the really short sc-type problems tend not to come from official sources.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron