The Write Company

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

The Write Company

by kobel51 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:53 pm
Manufacturers of mechanical pencils make most of their profit on pencil leads rather than on the pencils themselves. The Write Company, which cannot sell its leads as cheaply as other manufacturers can, plans to alter the design of its mechanical pencil so that it will accept only a newly designed Write Company lead, which will be sold at the same price as the Write Company's current lead.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the Write Company's projection that its plan will lead to an increase in its sales of pencil leads?

(A) First-term buyers of mechanical pencils tend to buy the least expensive mechanical pencils available.

(B) Annual sales of mechanical pencils are expected to triple over the next five years.

(C) A Write Company executive is studying ways to reduce the cost of manufacturing pencil leads.

(D) A rival manufacturer recently announced similar plans to introduce a mechanical pencil that would accept only the leads produced by that manufacturer.

(E) In extensive test marketing, mechanical-pencil users found the new Write Company pencil markedly superior to other mechanical pencils they had used

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:98 members

by Patrick_GMATFix » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:07 pm
the answer is E. I go through the question in detail in the full solution below (taken from the GMATFix App).

-Patrick
  • Ask me about tutoring.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members
GMAT Score:760

by mcdesty » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:33 am
See image for detailed explanation.

Be sure to watch the video explanation given above as well.
Attachments
Pencils.jpg
I have made your mistakes before.
I am experienced - I have tutored calculus and linear algebra for over two years.
For a very modest fee, I will ensure that your GMAT journey is a smooth one: Daily assignments and careful micro management.
PM me so we can get started.