The report urges convening a White House

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

The report urges convening a White House

by aspirant2011 » Thu May 19, 2011 10:07 am
The report urges convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors

A. convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors
B. convening a White House conference, to encourage Congress to appropriate more money for schools and for establishing networks of black mentors
C. convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and to establish networks of black mentors
D. the convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors
E. for convening a White House conference, for encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors

[spoiler]OA: Will be posted later. Please discuss each option in detail[/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:28 am
IMO = A
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:40 pm
c
A. convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors ( Not clear who is going to establish the mentors )
B. convening a White House conference, to encourage Congress to appropriate more money for schools and for establishing networks of black mentors (Not parallel since to appropriate is not parallel to for establishing )
C. convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and to establish networks of black mentors ( Only 1 left )
D. the convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors ( convening is used as gerund here , it requires a noun )
E. for convening a White House conference, for encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors (Incorrect since the sentence seems to be saying that it urges something for convening )
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ansh.kumar » Thu May 19, 2011 9:44 pm
between A and C. A is a parallelism list but there should be comma before "and establishing" to end the list.
that leaves "c"

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:660

by 786 » Fri May 20, 2011 3:50 am
Tough call between A and C .

I think that if you have a comma before "and establishing" , it would mean that the report is doing three things : urging , encouraging and establishing .
I dont think that is the case here .

I would go for A .

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by abhi0697 » Fri May 20, 2011 4:46 am
I would go for A

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Fri May 20, 2011 5:08 am
aspirant2011 wrote:The report urges convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors

A. convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors
B. convening a White House conference, to encourage Congress to appropriate more money for schools and for establishing networks of black mentors
C. convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and to establish networks of black mentors - missing AND
D. the convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors
E. for convening a White House conference, for encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors - missing FOR
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Fri May 20, 2011 5:09 am
between A and C. A is a parallelism list but there should be comma before "and establishing" to end the list.
that leaves "c"
I think the construction of sentence is report urges X, Y and Z.

So the correct forms could be,

X,Y, and Z or X,Y and Z.

Please correct incase I am wrong.
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Fri May 20, 2011 5:46 am
A
Parallelism..

Cheers!

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:49 am
Why is C wrong??????isn't "to appropriate more money for schools and to establish networks of black mentors" this parallel...............

Legendary Member

by Frankenstein » Fri May 20, 2011 8:24 am
aspirant2011 wrote:Why is C wrong??????isn't "to appropriate more money for schools and to establish networks of black mentors" this parallel...............

Hi,
In that case, I think he would have used 'and'(instead of comma) before encouraging to make convening and encouraging parallel.

Cheers!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri May 20, 2011 2:42 pm
I did a little research on the problem. This is what I found.

This is from Aristotle and it #33.

The sentence however, has been lifted entirely from the New York Times from November 9,2010 edition of that newspaper.
"The report urges convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors."

You will notice that, although this is a list of three things, the second comma is omitted and so it is not necessarily clear to those who are used to a comma before the "and."

This is a direct quote from the Aristotle website "Serial comma is never a must, which is exactly the point. Though the OG always uses one, it doesn't ever test you on the usage of one. However, in the updated edition (which should be out sometime in June) we will be using the serial comma just to maintain consistency with the OG."

I am glad to hear that this will be edited. This sentence was lifted directly from the New York Times and it was without the second comma, yet on the GMAT the second comma is always there.

So choice A is correct because the addition of the proper second comma makes this clearly a list of three things, "encouraging" "convening" and "establishing." The other choices are not parallel.

Without the comma C is still incorrect, however, as Frankenstein said, you would have to say "urges convening a white house conference AND encouraging Congress."
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:09 pm
---

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:28 pm
Hi David , one difference that i find between A and C is the change in meaning
In establishing is parallel to encouraging and convening
whereas in C , to establish is parallel to " to appropriate "

Legendary Member

by Frankenstein » Sat May 21, 2011 1:31 am
David@VeritasPrep wrote:I did a little research on the problem. This is what I found.

This is from Aristotle and it #33.

The sentence however, has been lifted entirely from the New York Times from November 9,2010 edition of that newspaper.
"The report urges convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors."

You will notice that, although this is a list of three things, the second comma is omitted and so it is not necessarily clear to those who are used to a comma before the "and."

This is a direct quote from the Aristotle website "Serial comma is never a must, which is exactly the point. Though the OG always uses one, it doesn't ever test you on the usage of one. However, in the updated edition (which should be out sometime in June) we will be using the serial comma just to maintain consistency with the OG."

I am glad to hear that this will be edited. This sentence was lifted directly from the New York Times and it was without the second comma, yet on the GMAT the second comma is always there.

So choice A is correct because the addition of the proper second comma makes this clearly a list of three things, "encouraging" "convening" and "establishing." The other choices are not parallel.

Without the comma C is still incorrect, however, as Frankenstein said, you would have to say "urges convening a white house conference AND encouraging Congress."
Thanks!