The report

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

The report

by atulmangal » Fri May 27, 2011 8:20 am
Knewton- Prep

The report indicates that last year one of the nation's most successful construction companies widened the gap between its profitability and that of other construction companies, and an analyst advised the company to invest $6 million into further development, a recommendation that could result in more spending by the construction company on its own equipment and decreasing the dependence on other companies to supply machinery.

(A) decreasing the dependence

(B) the decreasing dependence

(C) decreased dependence

(D) the dependence decreased

(E) the dependence decreasing

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Fri May 27, 2011 8:37 am
atulmangal wrote:Knewton- Prep

The report indicates that last year one of the nation's most successful construction companies widened the gap between its profitability and that of other construction companies, and an analyst advised the company to invest $6 million into further development, a recommendation that could result in more spending by the construction company on its own equipment and decreasing the dependence on other companies to supply machinery.

(C) decreased dependence

I would have gone with option C because "decreased dependance" is the result of the recommendation.........whats the OA?????

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Fri May 27, 2011 9:07 am
Its a nice question to check parallelism concept...can u justify your answer on that basis???

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:18 am
atulmangal wrote:Its a nice question to check parallelism concept...can u justify your answer on that basis???
Yup for parallelism part I feel that could result in X and that could result in Y..........here X is more spending and Y is decreased dependance............and that could in front of Y is not necessary and is therefore, missing in option C.................

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sameerballani » Fri May 27, 2011 11:58 am
aspirant2011 wrote:
atulmangal wrote:Knewton- Prep

(C) decreased dependence

I would have gone with option C because "decreased dependance" is the result of the recommendation.........whats the OA?????
i mark option c. what's the correct answer?
as far explanation is concerned. i feel dis because adjective can be parallel to present participle parallel to past participle.
so DECREASED DEPENDENCE parallel to more spending.
its close between a and c.
Last edited by sameerballani on Sat May 28, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Fri May 27, 2011 9:44 pm
Parallelism is between:

more (adjective) spending (noun) AND
decreased (Past participle, a noun form) and dependence (noun)

In A, decreasing is used as a Gerund and is not correct here (in terms of parallelism).
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

by ansh.kumar » Sat May 28, 2011 4:56 am
hi ,
isnt in "A" decreasing is a present participle and "the dependance" is a noun and thus parallel to the "more spending" more-adjective and spending- noun.
plz clarify
thanks
EducationAisle wrote:Parallelism is between:

In A, decreasing is used as a Gerund and is not correct here (in terms of parallelism).
Last edited by ansh.kumar on Sat May 28, 2011 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Followed by:28 members

by sivaelectric » Sat May 28, 2011 5:09 am
IMO A
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri

Legendary Member

by sameerballani » Sat May 28, 2011 5:09 am
ansh.kumar wrote:hi ,
isnt in "A" decreasing is a present participle and "the dependance" is a noun
plz clarify
rhanks
EducationAisle wrote:Parallelism is between:

I feel that decreasing in option A is acting as a verb and if i m not wrong present participle is -ing form of verb that acts as a adjectives.

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Sat May 28, 2011 5:29 am
its a nice q guys, here is the OE

This sentence lacks parallelism; the recommendation could result in more spending... and decreasing the dependence is not parallel. Spending is a gerund, or noun, modified by the adjective more, but decreasing is a participle, acting as a modifier of dependence. The second result that the recommendation could have should match the first in the form of a noun.

Choices B and E, the decreasing dependence and the dependence decreasing are nouns (dependence) modified by participles (decreasing), but these options are not parallel to more spending because of the article the.

Choice C correctly uses the noun decreased dependence, which is parallel to the noun more spending.

Choice D, the dependence decreased is a clause and is not parallel to more spending.

The correct answer is C.

Legendary Member

by sameerballani » Sat May 28, 2011 5:46 am
Thanks Atul. Nice explanation.

Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Sat May 28, 2011 9:44 am
ansh.kumar wrote:hi ,
isnt in "A" decreasing is a present participle and "the dependance" is a noun and thus parallel to the "more spending" more-adjective and spending- noun.
plz clarify
Perhaps you can see that the sentence reads:

...recommendation that could result in more spending by the construction company on its own equipment and (in) decreasing the dependence..

Basically in is implied in the latter part of the sentence. If you are having some problems identifying Gerund, it would perhaps help to remember that the -ing form of the verb (decreasing here), when used as an object of a proposition (decreasing is clearly used as object of preposition in) is always a Gerund.
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi