The Federal Reserve bond buyback program has buoyed Wall

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members
The Federal Reserve bond buyback program has buoyed Wall Street, and helped the stock market reach record highs, but yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country.

and helped the stock market reach record highs, but yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country

helped the stock market reach record highs, but it has yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country

helped the stock market reach record highs, and has not translated into consistent job growth across the country

and helped the stock market reach record highs, but it has yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country

and helped the stock market reach record highs, but has not translated into consistent job growth across the country

my doubt :i somehow feel that there is nothing wrong with E .how do i reject E .in fact i feel that "it" in D can be ambiguous (can refer to "stock market" or "The Federal Reserve bond buyback program"),though i never use pronoun ambiguity as a reason to eliminate answer choice.

also i feel in E the subject of "but has not translated into consistent job growth" is clearly "The Federal Reserve bond buyback program"

i feel that both D and E are good
thanks and regards

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by AnjaliOberoi » Tue May 27, 2014 8:22 am
(D) Federal Reserve bond has x and y, but it has yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country ---- correct

(E) Federal Reserve bond has x and y, but has not translated into consistent job growth across the country ---- not parallel. Also it changes the intended meaning of the sentence by saying it has not translated when the sentence means to say that the translation will happen in the future but has not yet happened.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sat May 31, 2014 7:53 am
What is the source of this question? (It's always helpful to post sources when posting questions - not all sources are good sources).

As transcribed here, every single answer choice is incorrect.
1) There should not be a comma before the "and" in the parallel construction "has buoyed and helped."
2) The correct idiom would read "has helped X to reach Y" not "has helped X reach Y."

Aditya, you're right that pronoun ambiguity is not reason enough to eliminate D. In this construction, it's clear that when we say "The subject performed an object, but it has yet to....," the "it" should refer to the subject.

There is nothing wrong with the parallelism in E. Anjali, be careful:
Federal Reserve bond has x and y, but has not Z.
This is a perfectly parallel construction.

The only difference here is a very subtle difference in meaning - something not happening v. something not happening yet. The GMAT will not get this picky about minor meaning distinctions.

This is simply a bad question; you should disregard it.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Sat May 31, 2014 9:03 am
thanks for your input ceilidh
the source is "veritas"

but i fail to understand as why u have said the following :
ceilidh wrote: There should not be a comma before the "and" in the parallel construction "has buoyed and helped.
i did ask RON once about this rule: can we put comma before "and" to separate two "verbs" that are referring to same subject .i had asked this because your manhattan book does say that such a thing is not allowed .however RON had told that we can do so and he further said that punctuation are never tested in GMAT
can u please clarify more on this
thanks and regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by ceilidh.erickson » Sat May 31, 2014 9:21 am
I'm not sure exactly what Ron said on the subject. The general rule is that two verbs both used with the same subject and connected with "and" should not have a comma separating them. We use a comma when we link independent clauses with "and."
I slept soundly and ate a good breakfast.
I slept soundly, and I ate a good breakfast.

There can certainly be exceptions - if, for example, a modifier is used in between:
I slept soundly, despite the noise, and ate a good breakfast.

You're absolutely correct that the GMAT will not test comma usage. It's not something you have to worry about. However, the GMAT itself will always use commas correctly in constructing its sentences, so incorrect comma usage in an example question (whether tested or not) is indicative of poor understanding of grammar. So, it's an example of why this is not a good source, but it's not something to worry about otherwise.
Ceilidh Erickson

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Sat May 31, 2014 10:02 am
ceilidh wrote:I'm not sure exactly what Ron said on the subject. The general rule is that two verbs both used with the same subject and connected with "and" should not have a comma separating them. We use a comma when we link independent clauses with "and."
I slept soundly and ate a good breakfast.
I slept soundly, and I ate a good breakfast.
i will take it as rule and thanks for this

kindly confirm me on one more thing
i believe that both D and E would make good answer if they were as follows,considering that there is no comma as told by u:

D :and helped the stock market to reach record highs, but it has yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country

E:and helped the stock market to reach record highs, but has not translated into consistent job growth across the country

Also
veritas people had given a very weird solution :: All of the incorrect answer choices in this problem violate parallelism by creating bungled series.In (A) and (E) you cannot say: the reserve has buoyed, and helped, but yet to translate or but has not translated. Because of the "and" after the first part, a new clause must be created to follow "but". In (B) the series is "the program has buoyed, helped,...but it has" - this is incorrect as you cannot have the it in the last clause. In (C) the "and" at the end creates illogical meaning, as the last part contrasts what you learn in the first part of the series. Only (D) has proper sentence construction and conveys a logical meaning: the program has buoyed Wall Street, and helped the stock market, but it has yet to translate...." The comma before between "Wall Street" and "and" may seem unusual, but it is there to show that what follows is extra information relating to the first clause: the buyback has buoyed Wall Street, and (as a result) helped the stock market reach record highs, but it has yet to do this. Answer is (D)solution

i just don't understand the bold portion

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by ceilidh.erickson » Sat May 31, 2014 10:28 am
That explanation is simply wrong. It is perfectly correct to say:
It has buoyed and helped, but has not translated.

There are two parallel structures here:
It has X, but has not Y.
and
It has A and B, but...

This is not something I have ever seen the GMAT directly test, so I wouldn't worry about it. But this is both a bad question and a bad explanation.
Ceilidh Erickson