The AMA has declared that auto-immune disease

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680
The AMA has declared that auto-immune disease, a disorder that scientists agree is caused by immune system's response to the invading pathogen that is so similar to human bodies the response crosses over and injures human organs, resulting in chronic disabling conditions.

(a) to the invading pathogen that is so similar to human bodies the response crosses over and injures human organs, resulting in chronic disabling conditions
(b) to the invading pathogen that is so similar to human bodies that the response crosses over, injures human organs, and results in chronic disabling conditions
(c) to the invading pathogen that is so similar to human bodies that the response crosses over and injures human organs, resulting in chronic disabling conditions
(d) to the invading pathogen that is so similar to human bodies since the response crosses over and injures human organs, resulting in chronic disabling conditions
(e) to the invading pathogen that is so similar to human bodies that the response crosses over and injures human organs, will result in chronic disabling conditions

OA: E

Updated the answer based on the comment
Last edited by dongkim2 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Shawshank » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:19 pm
dongkim2 wrote:The AMA has declared that auto-immune disease, a disorder that scientists agree is caused by immune system's response to the invading pathogen that is so similar to human bodies the response crosses over and injures human organs, resulting in chronic disabling conditions.

(a) to the invading pathogen that is so similar to human bodies the response crosses over and injures human organs, resulting in chronic disabling conditions
(b) to the invading pathogen that is so similar to human bodies that the response crosses over, injures human organs, and results in chronic disabling conditions
(c) to the invading pathogen that is so similar to human bodies that the response crosses over and injures human organs, resulting in chronic disabling conditions
(d) to the invading pathogen that is so similar to human bodies since the response crosses over and injures human organs, resulting in chronic disabling conditions
(e) to the invading pathogen that is so similar to human bodies that the response crosses over and injures human organs, will result in chronic disabling conditions

OA: C
The QUIZ 5 has stated the OA - D
Am confused .. IMO -- C
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Shawshank Redemtion -- Hope is still alive ...

by pops » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:59 pm

Even I am not very comfortable with D. My understanding is that D suggests that the response is so similar to human bodies because it crosses over and injures human organs.. actually crosses over and injures human organs are its effects.. am I right?
This is really confusing :(

by Fiver » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:59 am
dongkim2 wrote:The AMA has declared that auto-immune disease, a disorder that scientists agree is caused by immune system's response to the invading pathogen that is so similar to human bodies the response crosses over and injures human organs, resulting in chronic disabling conditions.

OA: C
I choose E.
In the non-underlined part we have a relative clause introduced by 'that', and the part after the comma 'a disorder' is an appositive modifying the 'auto-immune disease'.

Hence we need to see a proper verb to complete the relative clause introduced by 'that'.

Only option E does this job properly.

Experts please comment.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:23 am
hey OA is C even in the quiz

a) does not use correct idiom so....that
b) changes meaning
c) correct
d) so..since is wrong structure
e) changes the meaning

Legendary Member

by harshavardhanc » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:27 am
thephoenix wrote:hey OA is C even in the quiz

a) does not use correct idiom so....that
b) changes meaning
c) correct
d) so..since is wrong structure
e) changes the meaning
I don't know if I'm drunk (I'm at my workplace, so I believe that I'm not), but I think this sentence doesn't make any sense. OA is C and many members also believe so . Please put the corrected part in the original sentence and see if it looks right?

The AMA has declared that auto-immune disease, a disorder that scientists agree is caused by immune system’s response to the invading pathogen that is so similar to human bodies that the response crosses over and injures human organs, resulting in chronic disabling conditions.

I still didn't get what AWA has declared. All we have corrected by opting C is a modifier for disease : a disorder that scientist....

But, where and what is the declaration ?

any help by anyone would be appreciated!
Regards,
Harsha

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:9 members

by rsadana1 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:01 am
Hello Everyone,

Its good to see constructive discussion on this sentence. There was a mistake in the system while selecting the correct answer choice. The official answer is E and somehow the correct answer choice got messed up as the database was translated.

Harsha, your analysis is correct about Choice C and we can definitely certify that you are not drunk ;)

Fever, option E is the correct choice for the reason that you clearly noted.

Let us know if you need more explanation and we will be happy to provide the same.

Keep the good discussion going as it enables everyone to learn.

Thanks,

e-GMAT Team
e-GMAT
Customized Learning Solutions for GMAT

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by gmat800_ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:06 am
I choose E because if we remove the text between commas we have:

a) The AMA has declared that auto-immune disease, , resulting in chronic disabling conditions. (incorrect)
b) The AMA has declared that auto-immune disease, ,injures human organs, and results in chronic disabling conditions
c)The AMA has declared that auto-immune disease, ,resulting in chronic disabling conditions
d)The AMA has declared that auto-immune disease, ,resulting in chronic disabling conditions
e)The AMA has declared that auto-immune disease, ,will result in chronic disabling conditions

It was my reasoning... please comments??