Test Date:
In the Fall
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:

Test

Post Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:30 am
Test

Last edited by suffissd on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:55 am; edited 2 times in total

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
aj5105 Legendary Member Default Avatar
Posted:
1169 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Post Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:40 am
congrats ! lovely school !

Stockmoose16 Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
347 messages
Post Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:19 pm
suffissd wrote:
Thank you so much to the Beat the GMAT community for everyones posts to help me get accepted to the Fuqua School of Business.

So for everyone with a lower GMAT don't lose all hope!
Congrats!!!

I'll be applying for the class of '11, too. I just scored a 690 and thought it might be too low to get me in. Do you mind posting some info about your background (work experience, UG GPA, etc)? I'd love to know if I have a good shot.

suffissd Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
4 messages
Test Date:
In the Fall
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:52 pm
Of course! I think I was so excited to get in (Duke was my first choice) that I didn't give any details.

I am a 24 year old white female, and I majored in Biochemistry, Biophysics and Molecular Biology. I had a 3.40 undergraduate GPA, and then I got a certificate in Biochemistry where my GPA was 3.89.

I only have 1.5 years of work experience (which I think proves quality is better than quantity) at the National Institutes of Health where I got a prestigious fellowship to work on the AIDS virus. I was elected the Fellow-Chair of my institute at the NIH which gives me some management experience.

I think what really got me in were my letters of recommendations which were amazing, and then my essays with an emphasis on how everything I have done thus far in health care will enable me to be successful in the Health Sector Management Concentration which I plan to pursue.

I also tried to set myself apart from other applicants in my essays by talking about being an Academic All American in Snowboarding which I was very dedicated to in College.

Good Luck!

Last edited by suffissd on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

AleksandrM Legendary Member
Posted:
566 messages
Test Date:
September 8, 2008
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:06 pm
suffissd wrote:
Of course! I think I was so excited to get in (Duke was my first choice) that I didn't give any details.

I am a 24 year old white female, and I majored in Biochemistry, Biophysics and Molecular Biology. I had a 3.40 undergraduate GPA, and then I got a certificate in Biochemistry where my GPA was 3.89.
My GMAT was 640 (35V/44Q, 6 Analytical Writing)

I only have 1.5 years of work experience (which I think proves quality is better than quantity) at the National Institutes of Health where I got a prestigious fellowship to work on the AIDS virus. I was elected the Fellow-Chair of my institute at the NIH which gives me some management experience.

I think what really got me in were my letters of recommendations which were amazing, and then my essays with an emphasis on how everything I have done thus far in health care will enable me to be successful in the Health Sector Management Concentration which I plan to pursue.

I also tried to set myself apart from other applicants in my essays by talking about being an Academic All American in Snowboarding which I was very dedicated to in College.

Good Luck!
Love your story. Congratulations on putting together a competitive - an obviously winning - application. I wish the best of luck to you.

Enjoy the ride!

suffissd Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
4 messages
Test Date:
In the Fall
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:10 am
Thank you! I also just found out that I received a Merit Based scholarship which I believe proves by having strong essays and career goals any one can get into their dream school (and possible get funding too!)

Thanked by: beatthegre
AleksandrM Legendary Member
Posted:
566 messages
Test Date:
September 8, 2008
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:28 pm
Wow! That is awesome. Your story certainly goes to show quite a few people on this forum that B-school admissions is more than just the GMAT. I have seen so many people on this site report a 700+ score followed by something along the lines of "Harvard, here I come..." only to be disappointed because they failed to put together an overall strong application - perhaps believing that they can ride on their GMAT score alone.

Well done!

cyclonus Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
8 messages
Target GMAT Score:
700+
Post Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:19 pm
Congratulations on the admission as well as the merit scholarship!! Duke is my dream school, so here's hoping I get in! I'm applying this Fall.

hk MBA Student
Posted:
533 messages
Followed by:
9 members
GMAT Score:
Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:47 am
suffissd wrote:

My GMAT was 640 (35V/44Q, 6 Analytical Writing)

Good Luck!
No wonder you got an admit from Duke!! Congrats and all the best.

GMAT/MBA Expert

money9111 Legendary Member
Posted:
2109 messages
Followed by:
77 members
GMAT Score:
Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:59 pm
Wow yes congratulations! I love heard stories like this! Like I stated previously, this is an exciting time for us who are in GMAT mode right now, because everyone is beginning to hear back from schools. Now it's time for you to CELEBRATE!!! So much time and effort is put into the GMAT and people neglect the essays, which IMO are even more important.

Best of Luck!!!

Stockmoose16 a 690 is not a bad score at all. That's definitely within the 80% GMAT range for all schools. A 690 should not prevent you from applying! Just a though!

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

beatthegre Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
11 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:13 am
Good job with Duke, can you tell us anything about how it is? Campus life, career services, employment options??

Being between undergrads and MBAs??

Thanks

Best Conversation Starters

1 Vincen 132 topics
2 lheiannie07 65 topics
3 LUANDATO 54 topics
4 Roland2rule 43 topics
5 ardz24 40 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

133 posts
2 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

114 posts
3 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

113 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

109 posts
5 image description DavidG@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

72 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts