temporary-employment

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

temporary-employment

by ska7945 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:34 am
Temporary-employment agencies benefit not only from the increasing demand for clerical workers but also the higher profits made when highly paid professionals are placed, requests for whom have increased in the recent wave of corporate takeovers.
(A) the higher profits made when highly paid professionals are placed, requests for whom
(B) the higher profits that are made in the placement of highly paid professionals, requests for whom
(C) from the requests for highly paid professionals, who make higher profits for the agencies when placed and whose requests
(D) from highly paid professionals, whose placement makes higher profits for the agencies and whose requests
(E) from the higher profits made in placing highly paid professionals, requests for whom

answer E
what is subject for verb "requests" in the answer?
let's beat GMAT.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:660(

by 4meonly » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:08 am
requests for professionals.

intersting question, really))

My strategy is to test 1st the shortest answer, than others. I this case a found others awkward
Still I dont like whom. But here it can only refer to professionals - the only animated noun (i mean that only animated nouns, those who have soul, can be "who" - we have such rule in Russian grammar)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by just_do_it » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:47 am
I think 'whom' is being used here as an object pronoun to refer to 'highly paid professionals'.

The subject of this sentence is - Temporary employment agencies. Using 'Who' (which is a subject pronoun) will incorrectly refer to the temporary employment agencies and make the construct awkward in the sense that "requests for temporary employment agencies have increased in the recent wave of corporate takeovers" instead of "requests for highly paid professionals have increased in the recent wave of corporate takeovers."

So I think the correct answer is E.

GMAT Score:710

by kiran.raze » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:39 am
well, I guess to maintain parallelism in the sentence we need to use ' from the' as the idiom is not only from the.....but also from the......

So we have only 2 choices left - c & e . c seems awkward and wordy so Id go for E

Kiran

Legendary Member

by aj5105 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:55 am
IMO E..

corporate take overs need highly paid professionals & not the otherway round.

GMAT Score:730

by sumithshah » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:00 am
Two splits

a) request for ( to maintain parallelism) , thus eliminate a,b

b) Whose request in c and d makes it look like the request is made by highly paid professional (as opposed to for the professional)

My two cents

why not C

by sogmat » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:33 pm
can someone clearly explain y c is wrong

why not C

by sogmat » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:34 pm
can someone clearly explain y c is wrong

Legendary Member

Re: why not C

by real2008 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:30 am
sogmat wrote:can someone clearly explain y c is wrong[/quote

c)from the requests for highly paid professionals, who make higher profits for the agencies when placed and whose requests
(D) from highly paid professionals, whose placement makes higher profits for the agencies and whose requests
(E) from the higher profits made in placing highly paid professionals, requests for whom

c and d are wrong because profits are made neither because of request (as mentioned in C) nor of highly placed professionals. E is correct because of profits made in placing highly paid professionals

somebody may correct me if I am wrong in my reasoning

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Sidjain85 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:58 pm
e is correct ..

not only from x but also from y
eliminate a and b

problem with c and d ->
highly paid professionals, ....... whose requests ... it is not the requests of high paid professionals but requests for these professionals are generating profits ..

so e is correct ->
higher profit from request for professional -> correct

GMAT Score:770

by concept » Thu May 20, 2010 1:31 am
C suffers from 2 faults.
a) a little indirect wording
b) modifiers 'who' and 'whose' modify all highly paid professionals which is not right.

generally wrong answers on most GMAT SC problems have 2 mistakes. But still its quite hard sometimes to pick.