Telecom Minister (has been vs had been)

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Telecom Minister (has been vs had been)

by neeti2711 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:18 pm
The telecom minister had been indicted by the Supreme court in the 2G spectrum scam, which resulted in a loss of about $1.7 trillion to the exchequer.

A. had been indicted by the Supreme court in the 2G spectrum scam, which resulted
B. has been indicted in the 2G spectrum scam by the Supreme court, which resulted
C. has been indicted by the Supreme court in the 2G spectrum scam, which resulted
D. is indicted by the Supreme court in the 2G spectrum scam that resulted
E. has been indicted by the Supreme court in the 2G spectrum scam, resulting

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by insanejuxtapose » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:22 am
I would think E is the right answer. For "has been" to be used correctly in B & C you may require a sentence like the below:

has been indicted by the supreme court in the 2g spectrum scam that "has" resulted

A,B & C have modifier errors. Which modifies scam/court incorrectly. The scam/court dont result in a loss, its the fact that the minister was indicted which resulted in a loss. Hence the entire clause needs to be modified by what follows it which is exactly what happens in E. Resulting modifies the clause before it.

D is awkward and changes meaning as well.. "resulted again"

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:39 am
neeti2711 wrote:The telecom minister had been indicted by the Supreme court in the 2G spectrum scam, which resulted in a loss of about $1.7 trillion to the exchequer.

A. had been indicted by the Supreme court in the 2G spectrum scam, which resulted
B. has been indicted in the 2G spectrum scam by the Supreme court, which resulted
C. has been indicted by the Supreme court in the 2G spectrum scam, which resulted
In A, had been indicted (past perfect) implies that the indictment was completed BEFORE the scam that LED to the indictment -- a nonsensical sequence of events.
Eliminate A.

In B, which seems to refer to the Supreme Court, implying that the COURT resulted in a loss.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate B.

In D, is indicted (present tense) does not convey the intended meaning, since the indictment took place at some point IN THE PAST.

COMMA + VERBing should refer to the SUBJECT of the preceding clause.
Thus, in E, resulting seems to refer to the telecom minister, implying that the MINISTER was RESULTING in a loss.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:640

by sachindia » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:32 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
neeti2711 wrote:The telecom minister had been indicted by the Supreme court in the 2G spectrum scam, which resulted in a loss of about $1.7 trillion to the exchequer.

In A, had been indicted (past perfect) implies that the indictment was completed BEFORE the scam that LED to the indictment -- a nonsensical sequence of events.
Eliminate A.

In B, which seems to refer to the Supreme Court, implying that the COURT resulted in a loss.
Eliminate B.

In D, is indicted (present tense) does not convey the intended meaning, since the indictment took place at some point IN THE PAST.

COMMA + VERBing should refer to the SUBJECT of the preceding clause.
Thus, in E, resulting seems to refer to the telecom minister, implying that the MINISTER was RESULTING in a loss.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is C.
Hi Mitch,

I am a non native and I find it difficult to understand tenses.
Could you please throw some light on why pairing is with indicted doesn't make sense and doesn't convey intended meaning?

Can a sentence which has 'is' and 'verb-ed' ever be right?

Regards,
Sach
Regards,
Sach