Tektites

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

Tektites

by GmatKiss » Thu May 17, 2012 12:22 am
Tektites, which may have been propelled to Earth from lunar volcanoes, are much like the volcanic glass obsidian, but their chemical composition is different than any terrestrial lava; they contain far less water than obsidian does and none of its characteristic microcrystals.

(A) is different than any terrestrial lava; they contain

(B) is different than any terrestrial lava's, containing

(C) is different from that of any terrestrial lava; they contain

(D) differs from any terrestrial lava in containing

(E) differs from that of any terrestrial lava's, containing

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by Gaurav 2013-fall » Thu May 17, 2012 1:03 am
Tektites, which may have been propelled to Earth from lunar volcanoes, are much like the volcanic glass obsidian, but their chemical composition is different than any terrestrial lava; they contain far less water than obsidian does and none of its characteristic microcrystals.

so IMO C

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Thu May 17, 2012 1:56 am
Looking for a better explanation

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by dario.brignone » Thu May 17, 2012 2:39 am
A) "...different than..." - incorrect
B) "...different than..." - incorrect
C) CORRECT
D) "... chemical composition ... terrestrial lava" - wrong parallelism
E) I think that the usage of "lava's" to refer to its chemical composition is correct but the "containing" after the comma seems to refer to the chemical composition instead of Tektites.

Any comment regarding the usage of "lava's" in E) ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu May 17, 2012 3:11 am
GmatKiss wrote:Tektites, which may have been propelled to Earth from lunar volcanoes, are much like the volcanic glass obsidian, but their chemical composition is different than any terrestrial lava; they contain far less water than obsidian does and none of its characteristic microcrystals.

A and D incorrectly compare chemical composition to lava. When a sentence makes a comparison, it must compare APPLES to APPLES. Eliminate A and D.

COMMA + VERBing generally refers to the subject of the preceding clause. Thus, in B and E, containing refers to composition, implying that the COMPOSITION is containing far less water than obsidian. The composition itself does not CONTAIN far less water; the TEKTITES do. It is illogical to compare composition to obsidian. Eliminate B and E.

The correct answer is C.

Other errors:

In A and B, different THAN is incorrect. To convey that X and Y are different, we say that X is different FROM Y.

In E, that OF and lava'S are redundant. Eliminate E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nagnikhila » Thu May 17, 2012 3:21 am
Different from Correct idiomatic format

As the sentence is about comparison " that of any terrestrial" Correctly compares the chemical composition.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by quriousaddict » Mon May 21, 2012 9:35 am
[quote="GMATGuruNY"][quote="GmatKiss"]Tektites, which may have been propelled to Earth from lunar volcanoes, are much like the volcanic glass obsidian, but their chemical composition [u]is different than any terrestrial lava; they contain[/u] far less water than obsidian does and none of its characteristic microcrystals.

(E) differs from that of any terrestrial lava's, containing[/quote]

A and D incorrectly compare [i]chemical composition[/i] to [i]lava[/i]. When a sentence makes a comparison, it must compare APPLES to APPLES. Eliminate A and D.

COMMA + VERBing generally refers to the subject of the preceding clause. Thus, in B and E, [i]containing[/i] refers to [i]composition[/i], implying that the COMPOSITION is [i]containing far less water than obsidian[/i]. The [i]composition[/i] itself does not CONTAIN far less water; the TEKTITES do. It is illogical to compare [i]composition[/i] to [i]obsidian[/i]. Eliminate B and E.

The correct answer is [spoiler]C[/spoiler].

Other errors:

In A and B, [i]different THAN[/i] is incorrect. To convey that X and Y are different, we say that [b]X is different FROM Y[/b].

In E, [i]that OF[/i] and [i]lava'S[/i] are redundant. Eliminate E.[/quote]

Is the pronoun, "they", in ans choice C vague? I eliminated C for the reason it did not have a clear antecedent

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon May 21, 2012 5:41 pm
quriousaddict wrote:Is the pronoun, "they", in ans choice C vague? I eliminated C for the reason it did not have a clear antecedent
Here's the core structure of the OA:

TEKTITES are much like the volcanic glass obsidian, but THEIR chemical composition is different from that of any terrestrial lava; THEY contain far less water than obsidian does and none of its characteristic microcrystals.

It seems clear that the antecedent of their and they is tektites.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3