Technical Difficulty at Test Center

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Technical Difficulty at Test Center

by davehong » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:11 pm
Hello BTG Community,
My first post here but have been actively reading up on very helpful posts on this forum. Please excuse me if I have posted this under the incorrect area. Earlier today I took the GMAT at the Pearson test center in San Francisco. During my 2nd break, in between Quant and Verbal, I was notified that the system has locked up/crashed and they would not be able to log me back into the system until they fix the issue. I was ready to proceed with the test after my 8 minutes were up but they couldn't let me in. The technical problem was fixed after 25 minutes, but by the time I got to my desk to resume the test, I only had 50 minutes of time to complete Verbal. I proceeded with the test but as expected, I was not able to complete the Verbal section. I still proceeded to generate scores because I wanted to see my Quant score. The staff at the Test Center was helpful and very apologetic and provided me with the GMAC number and filed a report on my behalf.
I have already emailed the GMAC and will call in on Monday, but I should have a pretty good argument that I should be able to retake the test without paying the fee and not wait the 30 window period?
Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:800

by gmatninja » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:53 pm
I'm not exactly an expert on this, but similar glitches happened to two of my students a couple of years ago, and they both received a free redo of the test. GMAC didn't make them wait another 30 days, either. Both test-takers spent a TON of time on the phone pleading their cases, but GMAC eventually relented.

Granted, that was a few years ago, and GMAC has been working constantly to tighten up their test security lately, so you never know. But be persistent and remind them that your application deadlines are coming up really soon, and I imagine that you'll have a decent chance of success.

Good luck!
helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... https://www.gmatninja.com/

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by davehong » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:37 pm
Thanks for the reply gmatninja!

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:37 pm
Hello, davehong! I saw you post this to our GMAC thread as well. I posted your answer there but I wanted to make sure you saw it:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It sounds like you did the right thing in alerting your testing center staff, filing an incident report and completing the exam. At this stage, someone at GMAC is reviewing the incident. Once they have completed the investigation they will contact you. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee you a specific outcome, but if you do not hear from a GMAC or Pearson Vue staff member in a week, please let me know and I will investigate.

Thank you!

Rebecca
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!